Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

St. Patrick's Day is tomorrow and I think it's time we took it back.

When you think of St. Patrick's Day what do you think of?  I think of leprechauns, pots of gold, Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphy, the green river in Chicago, wearing green, Guinness, corn beef and cabbage and my cousin Amber and brother's birthday.

What I don't think of is St. Patrick.  St. Patrick is credited with sending the snakes out of Ireland, although I don't buy that he actually expelled real snakes.  Rather, he got rid of the pagan Druids by introducing the island to Christianity.  The snakes are probably symbolize the Druids, but no one knows for sure.

But St. Patrick is responsible for converting a nation to Christianity (ironically a nation that had kidnapped him as a boy).  St. Patrick used the shamrock in his preaching to explain the Holy Trinity.  He showed how the shamrock had three distinct and equal leaves but was just one shamrock.

So on St. Patrick's Day this year let's have fun.  I mean, I'm part Irish and I am proud of that, but let's give tomorrow a real meaning.  Let's celebrate evangelism and the Holy Trinity.  Let's salute a man who saved a nation and taught us about the Trinity.

When we remember the Trinity let's not forget the Holy Spirit.  Francis Chan calls the Holy Spirit the "Forgotten God".  Is He?  We need to recognize the deity and power of the Holy Spirit this St. Patrick's Day.

So this St. Patrick's Day let's remember the real reason we celebrate.  Let's celebrate the Holy Trinity (one God with three distinct persons who are fully and equal God).  So celebrate the true St. Patrick's Day with me tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment