Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Challenge for Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent.  As a kid I never did anything for Lent.  I didn't know what it was except that it meant that school had fish for lunch on Fridays.

Many people give something up for Lent.  My Catholic roommates would always give up candy or something like that.  I've never done that.  I've never given anything up for the 40 days of Lent.  But my brother has.  Patrick does the 40 Days of Water.  This is where, as I understand, you give up every drink except water and whatever money you would have spent on coffee, pop, etc you give instead to a charity.  I think that's pretty cool.

I've never given anything up, but I have added something for Lent before.

Last year I vowed to read my Bible ever day during Lent.  I know what you're thinking, "Aren't you supposed to be doing that already, Matt?"  Yes, I was supposed to be; but I wasn't.

So last year I read my Bible every day during Lent instead of giving something up.  And you know what?  It was awesome!  I got so much out of it and my Bible reading habits are better today because of it.

So this year during Lent I vow to blog every day.  This, I hope, will cause me to think more about the scripture I'm reading.  It should also cause/force me to be more in-tune with the Holy Spirit who (much of the time when I let Him) helps me in my bloging and understanding of the scripture.

So there it is.  I will blog every day during Lent.

What is God asking you to give up or add this Lenten season?  Find out and get to it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment