Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Silly Things

On Wednesday we have youth group at church.  I love going to youth group, it re-energizes me for the week just being around the kids.  It also re-energizes me because I get challenged in my faith.

Tonight one of the things we talked about was how silly the things we care about are when compared to God.

I began to think about sports. I love sports, maybe too much.  I love to watch sports, play sports, talk about sports, research sports.  My job is even focused on sports much of the time.  But sports are silly if you really think about them.

Monday night I watched the NCAA championship even though it was an awful game to watch.  I have watched pretty intently for the entire month of the tournament, but when you really think about it basketball is silly.  I have spent much of my life obsessing over 10 guys running around, bouncing a ball and trying to throw it through a ring.  When these guys are really good at it, people say "You're national champions."  Do the champs really get anything (other than the coaches)?  No.  I mean it is kind of silly, but I will study the game, shout out loud when somebody dunks it, and talk about Monday night's game for a solid week.  I mean, how silly is that?

Or think about this.  I love Cubs baseball.  I listen to Pat Hughes on the radio, I watch Len and Bob talk about it on TV and when I can I go to a game.  When I go to a game I spend serious coin to do so (or I should say my parents do most of the time).  The process of going to a game cost up to or at least a hundred dollars when you start to add it all up, and that's if you get cheap seats.  I mean the ticket, the hotel, the gas, the food at the game, the Cubs shirt... I mean I invest a lot into what is really silly.  I invest all that to watch grown men play a kids' game.

I'm not saying don't do things or have stuff.  What I'm saying is realize that all these silly things don't compare to God.

I invest all this money to see the Cubs but when the collection plate for those in need around us is passed I'll give a couple bucks.  I'll cheer loudly when two teams I could care less about are playing basketball, but I'll shut up when God wants me to say a word for Him. I mean, I should flip-flop my life.  I should cheer loudly for our awesome God and give generously to His children, all while reading the box score once a week on a Sunday for all my sports.

God is great.  Everything else is really just silly.  Now act like that's true today.

2 comments:

  1. something to think about isn't it? best part is not having so much stuff also means less stuff to maintain thus giving you more time/money for the important things in life! as i've been clearing out the stuff it has been very freeing!!
    CJW

    ReplyDelete
  2. God sucks balls and so do you.

    Word verification: oblemen

    ReplyDelete