Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

How Much Do I Make?

Today I spoke to middle school students during a career day type setting. It was nice getting to talk to them about how what they’re learning applies to my job. It was fun getting to share about my job.

The kids had many good questions but one stood out to me. One question stuck with me, partly because it was a question only a child could get away with, but mostly because it made me think.

He asked how much I make a year.

This is a perfect question to ask when someone is telling you about their career in this format yet it is such a taboo question. Why? Why is this so taboo?  I felt violated just being asked at first, though no one listening noticed. But I did feel strange saying what my W2 states so plainly.

I think I know part of the reason why I feel uncomfortable answering that question. I always and you always want to say that your salary or compensation isn’t enough and we’re afraid that people will find out it is plenty. I don’t want to be accountable for the way I spend my money. I want that to be so personal. Yet maybe that’s because I know I should be a better steward of what God has given me.

Someday I will give an account for what I did with my money. Will I hear “Well done good and faithful servant” or will I try to convince the Good Lord that I may have been tight fisted with my cash but I was generous in other ways?

I have more than my daily bread. What am I doing with what goes beyond meeting my basic needs?  Am I being a good steward or am I treasuring wealth on earth?

I don’t want these questions to haunt me. I must strive to be a steward found faithful today.

1 comment: