Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Australia, Early Edition and the Future

My sister lives in the future... kind of. 

Right now as I type this it is 7:51 p.m. on Thursday here in Iowa, but in Adelaide, Australia it is 11:22 a.m. on Friday.  So, my sister lives in the future. 

When the Cubs were in the world series I'd video-chat with her and ask if they won or not so I could know whether or not it was worth staying up to watch the game.  Now, of course even though she was in the next day she didn't actually know what happened in the Cubs game yet.  That's not how time works and it's a bummer because I could make a good living playing the lottery if it was.

Do you remember the show "Early Edition"?  Kyle Chandler the guy from the show "Friday Night Lights" would get tomorrow's newspaper today and would fix a little of the world with that knowledge.  You know, stuff like getting people out of harms way.  The show ran four seasons and was decently well received and that's partly because we all would love to have the ability to see a day into the future.

Wanting to know what life has in store for tomorrow is not a new concept.  Knowing the future is something all of us, with in reason, have the desire to know.

Well, I do have one part of the newspaper, if newspapers still exist, I'm nearly 100% guaranteed to show up in one day: The obituaries.  I have an appointment with death (Hebrews 9:27).

"Show me, O LORD, my life's end
and the number of my days;
let me know how fleeting is my life.
You have made my days a mere handbreadth;
the span of my years is as nothing before you.
Each man's life is but a breath.
Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro:
He bustles about, but only in vain;
he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it."  Psalm 39:4-6

It's been said that death and taxes are life's two guarantees.  We are all going to die and our lives are much shorter than we think.  As a kid the years seemed to drag on but every year older we get we realize how short life is.

"The thief comes only to steal and to kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10

Jesus tells us that the thief, a.k.a. Satan, wants to steal and kill and destroy, but that He came to give us life to the full.  Life is short.  Which route of life do you want to follow: the route of the thief or that of the Good Shepherd?  The thief presents his route as one of fun and enjoyment and that of the Lord as one of dull repetition.  But that couldn't be further from the truth.  Jesus' path is life to the full and Satan's is a killjoy.  It's just for some reason Satan's path seems to be better marketed.

Not only does Jesus give us a better life here and now but He gives us eternal life.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

I've seen the future; I die and so do you.  I've seen the length of our days; they are short.  You and I are given a choice, a fork in the road as it were.  Which future do you choose?  One of destruction and killjoys or one of abundant living during this life and eternal life to follow?  As for me, the choice is clear. 

Choose wisely today.

No comments:

Post a Comment