Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Friday, March 16, 2018

How Long, O Lord!

One of the great things about being a friend, an elder at the church, a brother, a husband, etc is being invited into other people's pain.  This is one of the biggest burdens and one of the biggest honors in my life.  I have been heartsick and heartbroken for others.  I pray with a broken heart now for those in chemotherapy, those looking homelessness in the eye, those in breaking relationships, those who bury young spouses, those who have made their own bed of sin and those who did nothing to deserve the mess.  On top of this, I have also been sick to my stomach about my own mess a lot.

I'm sick of sin.  I'm sick of the way it affects people.  I'm sick of it in my own heart and I'm sick of it ravaging others.  I'm sick of Satan getting his way.  I'm sick of it all.

I've been thinking a lot about prayer lately.  Perhaps you are sick of reading my thoughts on prayer, but this is where I've been meditating.  One of the greatest things about prayer is our ability to call out to our Dad and complain.  We get to shout out with tears and bury our head in our Father's shoulder and just cry and complain.  Our Heavenly Father has broad shoulders and one day Revelation chapter 21 tells us He will wipe every tear from my eyes and there will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain for the old order of things has passed away (Revelation 21:4).

Until then I'm left with a hurting heart as I watch friends and family bury and mourn and cry and feel immense physical, mental and emotional pain. 

How long, O Lord!

"How long, O LORD?  Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and every day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?

Look on me and answer, O LORD my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;
and my foes will rejoice when I fall.

But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
I will sing to the LORD,
for He has been good to me." Psalm 13 

I know that God wins.  I've read the end of the book, but right now at times I'm frustrated.  I'm sick and tired of waiting.  I thank God that He lets me be sick of waiting and I thank God that He alone gives me and you the endurance to make it through the valleys of life. 

If life is causing you to cry out "HOW LONG, O LORD!?" then I pray that you pray that open, honest prayer to your Heavenly Father who loves you today.


No comments:

Post a Comment