Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Triumphal Procession

Before we take a look at the Word of God I want to teach you a little history.  A triumphal procession was a Roman military tradition.  After a victory the Roman general would display his treasures and captives amidst a cloud of incense being burned.  To the winners the incense probably smelled of sweet victory.  To the defeated people the incense smelt of the fore coming slavery or death.

"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him.  For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.  To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life.  And who is equal to such a task?  Unlike so many, we do not peddle the Word of God for profit.  On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, like men sent from God."
2 Corinthians 2:14-17

Let me confess something to you.  I write a lot about the importance of evangelism but I don't find myself personally leading others to Christ often, or I should say hardly ever.  I don't mean that I don't share the Gospel; what I mean is I don't get the opportunity to pray with someone as they accept Christ.  I want badly to do that, but it hasn't happened in a very long time.

So, I'm left wondering what I do in light of that.  Let me say first that it is frustrating, but it will not stop me.  Not everyone who shares the Gospel will see changed lives but everyone who shares the Gospel will get results.  Unfortunately and fortunately it isn't up to us to decide the result, it is up to our Sovereign God.

To some I am the smell of death; to others I am the smell of life.  Is the difference my approach?  No.  The difference is the choice of God.  I am not a peddler of the Word of God; I cannot sell the Gospel.  My job is to in Christ speak the Word of God with sincerity like a man sent from God.

Friends, the response to the Gospel is just that; the response to the Gospel not a response to me personally.  It may feel personal but it isn't.  I'm writing this to encourage myself and you.  Be the aroma of Christ, share the Gospel with your words and actions.  But let God be God.  Let God take care of saving people because He is the one who saves, not us.

Don't be discouraged.  To some we are the smell of death; to others, the fragrance of life.  Waft the aroma of Christ and leave the rest up to Him today.

No comments:

Post a Comment