Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Acts 21- Paul Arrested

Read Acts 21:27-40.  

In this section Paul got into some trouble.  People accused him of telling a Gentile to go into the Jewish section of the temple.  Paul would have never done this not because it was wrong but because it wouldn't be profitable and it would upset folks.  So the people were upset and began to riot and try to kill Paul.  The Romans intervened and Paul was arrested just as Agabus predicted.

When Paul was with the Roman soldiers he spoke in Greek to them and convinced them to allow him to speak to the crowd.  Then Paul addressed the crowd in Aramaic (the next chapter records what he spoke to them).  

So, I find myself wondering, what can I learn from this passage?  

2 Timothy 3:16 says, "All Scripture in God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,".  

That being said some passages of Scripture is more useful than others.  So, what can I learn from this passage?  This was one passage that was a tough one to mine something that I could apply to my life today.

I found one thing.  Use your education and quick thinking to glorify God.  Let me explain.

Paul spoke to the Roman soldiers in Greek.  Greek was the language of commerce and diplomacy not the native tongue of the region.  Only well educated people could speak fluently in Greek.  Paul was proving that he was a cultured man not a rioter. 

Paul spoke Aramaic to the rioting Jews.  Aramaic was the language of the people.  Paul was proving that he was one of them, a Jew.  This got their attention and they listened.

Paul used his education and knowledge of two languages to accomplish God's task for him.  He also used his quick thinking to do this.  Paul took the gifts God gave him and used them on the spot.  We should do the same.  Now, I'm not bilingual or even close to that but I can use my gifts and education on the spot to glorify God.  You can too.

What are your gifts?  Use them, whether you feel they are big or small, to glorify God and accomplish the task He has given you.  What did you go to school for or what are you going to school for?  What is your occupation?  Whatever the answers use them to glorify God today.

1 comment:

  1. "Whatever you do, do your work heartily as unto the Lord"

    ReplyDelete