Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Habakkuk's Prayer II

A few months ago I posted a prayer from Habakkuk chapter 3:2.  Now I want to look at Habakkuk 3:18-19.

"yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.

The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
He enables me to go on the heights."
Habakkuk 3:18-19

Habakkuk writes these two verses following several verses about hardship.  He writes about national crop failure and other calamities.  Yet, these two verses are his response and bookended with the praise he begins this chapter with.

The key word in these two verses is 'yet'.  Troubles will come 'yet' we are to rejoice in the Lord our Savior because He is our strength.

I watched a video tribute today for a classmate of mine named Aaron Wernimont.  Aaron and I were not friends but we graduated Wartburg the same year.  He was extremely respected.  He was a two time National Champion wrestler who won 80 matches in a row to finish his career.  He was a brilliant student.  He married a beautiful woman who also loved the Lord.  He had so much going for him.  Then he woke up the other day and died.

While watching this video I was overwhelmed by the strength his family and now widowed wife have.  They acknowledge the horror of there loss 'yet' they trust in their Sovereign Lord who is their strength.  Wow.  That is the kind of faith I want.  They said they don't know how but they trust that Aaron's death at age 26 in the midst of being a healthy, Godly man preparing for a marathon who just married the love of his life in August is somehow part of God's plan.

Pray that Habakkuk 3:18-19 can remain true for the Wernimonts.  I know that these verses remaining true for them is and will be a great witness for the glory of God.  It's sad to me that this is the means being used but I trust that Aaron will be join in heaven by friends who wouldn't be there without seeing God's strength in action in the Wernimont family.  Join me in praying for them today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArMaBTm-vrA

No comments:

Post a Comment