Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Lent Challenge 2016

Today is Ash Wednesday which marks the beginning of the Christian season known as Lent.  Since 2011 I have added the discipline of daily blogging from Ash Wednesday to Easter.  This discipline has grown me year after year.  It has made me focus on seeing something from God worth sharing every day.

This year I considered not doing this discipline.

I have been more spiritually dry recently than I have been in a long time.  I'm not exactly sure why, though I have some theories, but I just feel half full.  I attempt to write as a spiritual discipline once a week but over the last several weeks that has been difficult.  So, this year I strongly considered not writing daily during Lent like I have for the last five years.

That being said, this year I will continue this discipline.

I have often given the advice that when we feel dry we should not stop pursuing God but we should push harder.  I've told others that the best way to be hungry for God is to go where the food smells good.  So, I'll listen to myself.  I know that God has grown me every Lenten season.  I know that after the month and a half of Lent I'm tempted to blog daily all year long because I'm overflowing with things of God worth sharing.  So, in my dryness I'm going to the place that has been so good to me.  Now, prior to today I have redoubled on some of the other habits and disciplines that I know will help, but I hope that this Lent Challenge will help as well.

Keep me faithful to this discipline during Lent.  I may write a lot or I may write a little, but please help keep me faithful to this.

Also, I challenge you to do something for Lent.  Perhaps give something up in the more classic observance of Lent or add a discipline (even if it's a discipline you think you should already be doing like praying before bed or reading from the Bible daily).  I believe that God will honor your efforts in seeking Him; He does say seek and ye shall find.

Happy Ash Wednesday.  Thank you for being a part of my Lent Challenge and I encourage you to observe Lent as well beginning today.

No comments:

Post a Comment