Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Gospel of Spring

One of the things I do every day is read the weather on the air.  Just a little over a week ago I was announcing a wind chill of 35 below zero.  This week the temperatures have been in the sixties.  Spring has most definitely sprung and it did it remarkably fast.

I love Spring because things come alive.  The snow melts revealing the ground that I haven't seen in months, the birds are out and singing, the geese have changed direction in their flight and people are finally outside.

When I was in college my friends and I would be amazed every Spring.  Each Spring beautiful girls were all around outside sitting in the sunlight.  We didn't see most of these girls during the Winter months and we wondered where on earth they were in January.  To this day I'm convinced that some pretty girls hibernate when temps are below 50 degrees.

Today is a beautiful early Spring day and I just got done walking to the coffee shop.  My community is alive with people walking, biking and jogging around town.  I absolutely love it.

Spring is a time of renewal for our world.    Trees will soon be budding, my wife will be planting flowers in no time and people are coming out from being hunkered down for the Winter.  Spring's renewal energizes me and makes me think about the Gospel.

One of the things that all the seasons are is an example of God's faithfulness.  Every year the same seasons come and go, transitioning from one to another without fail.  Absolutely God's faithfulness on display for the world to see, but Spring is a much clearer reminder of the Gospel than any other season.

The Gospel is about God renewing His world.  On the Cross, Jesus began this renewal and it will continue until its completion.  The world is exiting the Winter of sin and is in the early stages of God's Spring until we get fully bloomed renewal of all things.  We see little bits of renewal in changed lives, but one day all things will be new.  They will be new just like the renewal of Spring except absolutely perfect.

So, enjoy the Spring weather.  Soak up the sun and enjoy your town coming to life.  And when you do enjoy seeing Spring, remember that Spring only points to something better.  Don't avoid enjoying Spring at all because in some way by enjoying Spring less you enjoy God more; no, enjoy Spring to its fullest while knowing that something even better awaits.

Think about the Gospel of Spring today.

No comments:

Post a Comment