Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Friday, March 13, 2015

A Boring Testimony

"Everyone is invited to share their testimony."

For a long time when I heard this phrase, or something like it, I felt as if I had nothing to offer.  I have a boring testimony.  I was never in a biker gang, I never did drugs, I wasn't in the grips of alcohol, I never even made it to Middle School before becoming a Christian.  So when I was invited to share my testimony I passed on the opportunity.

I remember the day I gave my life to Jesus.  I was a very young child and I was struck by the beauty of a sunrise.  It looked as if I was riding into heaven.  I remember thinking that I wanted to be in heaven with God forever and ever.  So, I asked my mom to pull over and pray with me and I gave my life to Jesus.

Now, there was a baptism a few years after that and a rededication of my life at summer camp, but I firmly believe that moment on the road with my mom was my moment of conversion.

So, my story seemed boring to me for a long time and I didn't share it much.  To be honest, I was embarrassed of my boring testimony.

Now, I'm so thankful for my boring testimony.  See, through the years I have been amazed at my capacity to sin and to think evil thoughts... and this is with a converted heart.  I wonder what sort of pain I would have caused myself and other if my testimony wasn't so boring.  I think about the hell I could have raised.  I realize that I could have hardened my heart forever if God hadn't saved me before my heart got any harder.

I love my boring testimony.

I don't have children yet, but I often pray that they have a boring testimony.  I pray that the children of my friends have boring testimonies.  I don't want kids to waste any time without Jesus.  I'm so thankful that I was spared from wasting time away from the Giver of Life.

I so badly want my children to have a boring testimony.  Below is a post I wrote back in May of 2012 that highlights that desire through a story.

An Introduction

I usually don't do this type of writing.  I've done it once before but it's not my forte.  That being said, today I had a daydream while driving that I'd like to share with you.

In my dream I was dead.  I'd been dead for a long time and I was in heaven.

While in heaven I was standing by the banks of the River Jordan when I saw my daughter crossing.  She made it across to the shore and I ran to meet her.  I hugged her and excitingly welcomed her to heaven.

"Hey Beautiful, can I give you a tour?" I asked.

"Of course, Dad." She replied.

I took her on a tour of heaven.  I introduced her to her Great-Grandpa and Great-Grandma Ray because she had never met them.  I introduced her to Esther, Ruth, David, Paul, John and Mary.  I took her on a walk down the streets of gold until we reached the crystal sea.

Finally, it was time to do what I was most excited to do.  Something I had been waiting to do for a long time.

"Beautiful, I want to introduce to Jesus." I said beaming inside.

"Don't be silly," she replied with a goofy yet warm grin. "you already introduced me to Him a long time ago."



"... as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

I know that this was just a daydream but it is a dream I hope comes true for me and my family.  I want to be a father, when the time comes, that introduces his children to Jesus early and often.  I want to lead my family to the Author of Life.

For those of you that are parents, I ask you to introduce your children to God early and often.  For those of us that aren't parents we need to prepare ourselves for the task of introducing our children to Jesus today.

No comments:

Post a Comment