Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Monday, April 1, 2019

10 Year Workiversary

April 1, 2009 I had an interview at KWAY Radio.  Ael Suhr took a chance on a 22 year old kid with a history degree who did radio as a hobby and worked on staff at the campus radio station, KWAR.  I had done some color commentary, sideline reporting and play-by-play at KWAY prior to being hired but overall I was relatively untested in commercial radio.  Thank you Ael for taking a chance on a kid over and over again.

I also owe a debt of gratitude to my coworkers past and present. I especially have to thank two former coworkers: Mark Simpson and Bob Westerman.  The two of them let me glean a lot of knowledge from them and Mark was in favor of a young guy hosting a show with him long before I was any good at it.

I've been at KWAY Radio in Waverly for a decade now.  That seems strange, but it's already been ten years.

Over the course of ten years I've called 1,276 games: football, volleyball, basketball, baseball softball, soccer and even one bowling meet.  Through this I've seen exciting moments and many tears from area athletes, coaches and their families.  It's been great being included in their seasons.

I've interviewed many fun people.  Celebrities like Hall of Famer Bill Walton, Actor and Iowan Tom Arnold, Model and actress Chrissy Teigen, Olympic swimmer Natalie Coughlin, soccer star Brandi Chastain, actor and Iowa Robin Lord Taylor from Gotham, wrestling legend Dan Gable, football star Tim Dwight, comedian and actor Pauly Shore to name a few without mentioning the hundreds of authors with whom I've spoken.  I even got the joy of hanging up on the jerks that starred in the show Workaholics.  I even watched a kid, Maddie Poppe, go from job shadowing at the station to American Idol champion.

In ten years I've announced some of my favorite life moments on the air.  I told people when I got engaged.  I played the song I recorded for my wife to walk down the aisle to live on the air to surprise her. I talked about my wedding plans.  I announced my wife's pregnancies and the births of our children. 

But my favorite memories of this first decade have been serving the community in which I'm now raising my family.  I get to do this because my boss encourages to promote the good of our communities. 

My favorite day of radio was a dark day for many of you.  A couple of years ago there was flooding in our area.  We organized flood relief that day.  People called me in the studio asking for help.  Then I announced whether they needed stuff moved from the basement or sandbags placed or whatever and I told people the address.  It was amazing, within a matter of minutes people would call back and say they had too much help and to send people to another person in need.  That day exemplified what a community radio station was all about and that's why it's my favorite station memory so far.

Thank you everyone that has helped me have a live mic.  Thank you to everyone who graciously has listened over the years.  It has been a pleasure to be welcomed into your cars, your kitchens, your bedrooms, your garages... wherever you've let me be.  It is no small thing to let me be a part of your routine, your moments, your days.

God has allowed me to do my hobby as a living.  He's placed me in a phenomenal community and given me a boss that cares about me and my family.  God has been good to me.

Here's to the next decade.




No comments:

Post a Comment