Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Lent Challenge 2018

On Ash Wednesday 2011 I started a traditional Lenten discipline for myself of blogging every day during Lent.  Each year I've done this has helped grow me as a follower of Christ and as a writer.  Writing every day forces me to make time every single day to think critically about God.  Writing every day helps sharpen my ability to think critically and clearly about what I read in the Scriptures.  Writing every day also helps me to keep my Biblical perspective glasses on because I often need to use the world in front of my face to get topics to write about and since this blog is 99.9% about Christian topics that means I have to see the world from a Biblical perspective.

Through the years this discipline has been good for me and I hope that it has in some small way perhaps been good for you.

This year I almost decided not to do it. 

Last year I was awaiting the birth of my little boy.  This year my wife and I are chasing a little boy and tossing him in the air and playing peek-a-boo a lot of the day.  On top of that, Joshua can't stand to see us on the computer because he thinks he should get to play with it instead.  So, I considered not doing my annual Lent Challenge, but I am going to do it.

Lent isn't supposed to be about finding what is simple and doing it.  So, out of pure principle and the desire to be faithful I'm blogging daily again this year. 

Today there are plenty of topics to write about: Valentine's Day, Ash Wednesday and Joshua is nine months old today.  But I'll save some of that for another day.

Today I want to challenge you to join me in adding a discipline during the season of Lent.  Be it writing, Bible reading, prayer time, deliberate acts of service, quiet time, fasting... whatever it is you choose to do.  I also ask you to keep me honest on this challenge.

Join me this year in the sanctifying season known as Lent.  From now until Easter let us train our minds and bodies to seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness (Matthew 6:33).  I pray you decide to be an active participant in Lent today.


No comments:

Post a Comment