Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Monday, February 26, 2018

Give Me Jesus- A Prayer for A.J.'s Family and Friends

Saturday I found out a friend from college had taken his own life the day before.  A.J. Zaruba was an energetic, kind, talented man who found himself in a dark place but I wish he knew the world was a brighter place with him in it.  I hadn't had much interaction with him since college but I always found him to be a good guy and super talented musically.  The last time I talked with him was over Facebook messenger.  He was going through a rough time but getting help and I wanted him to know I was proud of him for looking for help.  I sent him one of the prayers I prayed for him and his family and I'm glad I did. 

Like many of us that were friends with him from Wartburg or from choir I wish I would have reached out more.  I wish I could have let him know how much he was wanted in this world, but I can't go back and neither can any of us. 

The last song I sang as a member of the Wartburg choir was directed by him.  It was "Give Me Jesus."  The lyrics of "Give me Jesus" are words written as an expression of saving faith. 

"That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.  For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.  As the Scripture says, 'Anyone who trusts in Him will never be put to shame.'  For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile... the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on Him, for, 'Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."  Romans 10:9-13

"Give Me Jesus" has words that have been my prayer in times of pleasure and times of sorrow.  It's the first song that came to mind to pray and to pray for A.J.'s family when I heard the tragic news. 
"Lord, give them Jesus!  God they need Jesus right now to be their source of comfort and strength to make it through this day and all days after."

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything in all of creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."  Romans 8:38-39

I don't claim to speak for A.J. and his faith but a Christian is one who has cried out with their heart, "GIVE ME JESUS" and nothing at all in all of creation, and nothing means nothing, could ever separate us from Jesus.  The Apostle Paul says those that cry out sincerely, "Give me Jesus as Lord" and believe it in their hearts will get Jesus and will never be able to lose Him... never.

My prayer today is not for Austin Jacob Zaruba.  My prayer is for all of his family and friends and students whose lives were changed by knowing A.J. and that prayer is "give us Jesus today."


No comments:

Post a Comment