Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Touch my Mouth

Please open up your Bible and read the first chapter of Jeremiah.  A friend of mine shared this chapter with me tonight and it completely convicted me.

Jeremiah 1:4-9  
The word of the Lord came to me saying:
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations"
"Ah, Sovereign Lord," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child."
But the Lord said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.'  You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you.  Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you." declares the Lord.
Then the Lord reached out His hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth."

There is so much good in these six verses and I could not touch on all that these six verses speak; however, I want to hit on one thing.

I could speak about the goodness of God knowing us before we were born.  I could write about not being afraid.  I could write about not making excuses when called by God.  I could write about God the rescuer.  But let me share what jumped out at me from these six verses.

God touched Jeremiah's mouth and put His words in his mouth.  Has God done that for me?  Have I asked Him to do that for me?  Would I ask Him to do that for me?

I am challenged, and I want you to be challenged, to pray that God touches our mouths.  I know we will be amazed what God will do when our words get out of the way and God's words are spoken.

I mean, have you ever felt this before?  Have your words ever been completely controlled by the Spirit of God so much that you wish you could take notes on what you just said?  Have you ever gotten out of the way to let the Master work?

So, how do we do this?  Good question.  First, we need to know what God's words sound like by being in God's Word.  Second, we need to be filled with the Holy Spirit so that He can overwhelm our thoughts, hearts and speech.  Lastly, we need to desire it.

God give me your words.  Reach out your hand and touch my mouth today.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know - sometimes I've felt like I explained something better to the listener than it sounded to me, so perhaps that was God working through my lack of ability.

    I echo your prayer at the end: "God give me your words. REach out your hand and tough my mouth today."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the first chapter of Jeremiah... these are some of my favorite verses. :) ... and i love this. Thankyou for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete