Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Friday, March 20, 2020

Stimulus Checks, Refunds and the Glory of God

COVID-19 is here and we are feeling its impact.  Much has been written and will be about the health and healthcare ramifications of this novel virus, but I want to think about its economic impact.

People are going to be suffering economically because of the effects of this virus.  The social distancing necessary to slow the spread and save lives is also disrupting lives all around us.  People are being laid off, small business owners are watching revenue shrink and employees are wondering how small the next few paychecks can get.  This is causing and will cause great stress on individuals and families all around us.

The president and legislature are working on sending some kind of stimulus checks to the American people.  As I write this I do not know the size of these checks or exactly who will get them.  I'm hearing $1,000 per adult and $500 per child is a real possibility for at least the lower and middle classes.  Whatever the value of money that will soon be in your hands from stimulus checks or tax refunds, I think it is wise to ask how a Christian should use this money.

Before this national crisis erupted my wife and I were brainstorming how to use our tax refund.  Would we pay extra principal down on our house?  Would we put money into an IRA?  Would we get the floors refinished?  Well, now that times have changed we are asking what are responsibility as Christians is with this cash.

I want to use a few Biblical examples to illustrate how I am thinking about this money.

"Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile.  Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper." Jeremiah 29:7


Our God asks us to seek the peace and economic well being of our community.  We are to pray for it, because its prospering is our prospering.  So, whatever we do with this money during this time of need should impact our city.  How we use this money must be have a greater impact than only what makes me happy.  I should understand my interconnectivity to the people around me.

The feeding of the 5,000 men- John 6:1-13


You remember the story of Jesus feeding the 5,000 men and an untold number of women and children?  A crowd had gathered around Jesus and listened to Him preach.  It got late and Jesus asked where they could buy food for that many people.  Philip said eight months wages couldn't feed them all just one bite, but the disciples went canvassing for food.

"Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many." John 6:9

You know the rest.  Jesus took that little bit of food and multiplied it to the point that everyone had enough food and there were twelve baskets left over.

You can't tell me that there was only one person who packed a lunch.  Do you really think that only that boy brought along some food?  I could believe 5,000 men forgetting to pack a lunch, but, being a married man with children, I can't imagine there being very many women that didn't pack a lunch for themselves, their husbands and/or their children.

My point is that only one boy had the guts to be generous in a time of need.  And Jesus used that generosity to show off His power and provision.

When times get tough am I the boy that offers what I have for Jesus to use to benefit others and myself, or am I like the others that would sneak a bite of my own food while my neighbor went without?

I'm not even mentioning the story of the poor widow that gave all she had or the parable of the talents.  As I read my Bible it is clear that I must use my refund and whatever check we might get for the benefit of others.

That all being said, I think there are three Biblical ways we can help our communities thrive with our money.

1) Save It.


If you do not have an emergency fund (as Dave Ramsey would call it) then build one.  We don't know how long this will last.  Have the ability to take care of yourself and your family first.  Prepare yourself so that you do not become a burden to others (1 Thessalonians 2:9, 1 Timothy 5).  Read Proverbs and you'll find there is much wisdom in being prepared.


2) Give It.


My wife and I do not need this money to survive.  We may not be swimming in luxuries, but we are more than fine.  God has blessed us with the ability to have built up an emergency fund.  Any money we would be getting would only go toward pleasure and retirement planning (there's nothing inherently wrong with either of those in normal times).  So, if you are in a position like ours this is a time to consider giving.  Give to your relative that is having a hard time making ends meet.  Give to your neighbor that can't make rent and feed kids.  Give it to your church's benevolence fund so it can meet the needs presented to it.  And let's not forget to tithe.

3) Spend It.


Spending money is a way to help our community prosper.  Spending our cash keeps businesses open and people working.  Spending is the difference between people being employed, under-employed and unemployed.  But we can't just spend anywhere.  Try to spend this stimulus to stimulate those businesses and those workers most in peril.  Companies like Amazon can and should be able to keep employees paid during this time of social distancing; your local coffee shop, diner, mechanic or other small business may not.  Spend for the glory of God.  Make your spending choices the means that enable someone to thank God they still have hours at their job.  Make your spending part of the reason the local business owner still has confidence she can send her son back to school in the Fall.

Let us be wise and God honoring with our spending, saving and giving.  Let's seek the peace and prosperity of our city because we go as it goes.  We're given an opportunity to bless others; let's seize it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment