Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Sunday, March 29, 2020

How Are We Going to Get Through This?

President Donald Trump just extended the social distancing guidelines through April 30th in an effort to keep US COVID-19 deaths below 100,000.

When I first saw this news I only saw half the headline.  I only saw social distancing guidelines extended through April 30th and I was bummed.  I had no belief that this would not be the case but hearing it from the president officially brought on a quick sense of grief.

Then I read how he said: "So if we can hold that down, as we're saying, to 100,000, it's a horrible number, maybe even less, but to 100,000, so we have between 100 and 200,000, we all together have done a good job..."

This is horrifying.  100,000 people dead from this virus is a good outcome at this point.  I'm not attacking the president as I write this.  I'm simply flabbergasted and deeply saddened by the idea of that many people dead from this.  100,000 people is roughly every living person in Waterloo and Cedar Falls gone.  I can't fathom this.  The 100,000 to 200,000 that Dr. Anthony Fauci is talking about is akin to the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki from the two atom bombs.

How are we going to get through this?


I am not one to try to predict the future, especially in this ever-changing time.  I have no idea what is in store over the next 31 days.  I pray to God that Dr. Fauci is wrong in the best ways.  I pray that the measures being prescribed work.  I beg God to be merciful.

I am one who looks to the past to find how others have dealt with difficult circumstances.  I am one that looks to my Bible to know how to face uncertain days.

Let me show you what came to mind as I mourned my continued change in lifestyle and feared an unimaginable death figure.

"... I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  Philippians 4:11b-13


I might amend this to: Whether in public or stuck in my house, whether healthy or sick, whether with work or without, whether with sports or without, whether frightened or in peace.  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

It's often said that God won't give you more than you can handle.  That may sound true if what you're given is another month of extreme social distancing.  But if life gives you a wife on a respirator that you aren't allowed to visit due to hospital protocol, then I don't know.  If God gives you a dead child, then I'm certain that line isn't true.  The real truth is this: God won't give you more than you can handle with His strength.

What will get us through this?  The same thing that got us through last April when all was well for most of us: The strengthening of Christ.

I'm afraid for my friends and neighbors.  My heart hurts for those who will get sick and die and those whose life-long business dreams crumble and those who can't figure out how to make ends meet.  I don't know exactly how they'll make it, but I do know the only key to contentment in any situation, whether good or down right devastating, is Christ.

If you know Jesus as your Lord and Savior then I ask you to lean on Him and I ask you to remind me to do the same.  If you don't have Jesus like I have Him then I implore you to, because life can be unbearable without Him and death is certainly hopeless without Him.

Live contently no matter what these next 31 days throw at us through the strength of Christ today.




No comments:

Post a Comment