Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Raspberries and M&Ms

I recently fasted from dinner the night before until breakfast the next day.  I say that, not to sound more religious, but to talk about something God taught me.  In fact, when it comes to the discipline of fasting I am lacking.  I hardly ever do it and I've never gone more than about 40 hours and I likely won't ever write a how-to on fasting.

So, on the afternoon of my day of fasting I saw some raspberries on the dining room table and walked over to grab a few.  I almost forgot I was fasting.  I almost responded to my hunger and didn't think about what my plan was.

Then that evening I was going to leave the house.  I looked over on the kitchen counter and saw a big bag of dark chocolate M&Ms.  I reached over to grab some and then remembered that I was supposed to be fasting.

I was struck by a thought after the raspberries and definitely after the M&Ms: I have such easy access to food.  I began to pray for those who don't have access to food at any moment.  I began to think about how I was hungry by choice rather than by circumstance.  I began to thank God for the way He has blessed me.  I am so blessed by God that not only do I have my needs met, but He has showered me with conveniences.  I can eat any time I want to eat.  I have snacks and meals readily and quickly at my disposal.

So, would you pray with me for those who struggle with food scarcity?  This is people in Ethiopia, in China and in Bremer County, Iowa.  Pray that they would have their needs met.  Pray and ask God if He wants you to be a part of meeting that need.  If you are a part of my church then perhaps you should serve at the community meal.

"Let them give thanks to the LORD for His unfailing love
and His wonderful deeds for men,
for He satisfies the thirsty
and fills the hungry with good things."  Psalm 107:8-9

God literally satisfies me with good things to eat and drink.  However, Psalm 107 talks about spiritual hunger and thirst and God longs to satisfy that need for you, too.

In Psalm 107 the anonymous writer lists off the many ways that people come to fear and trust the LORD.  He writes of the ways that people are redeemed and from what they are redeemed.

"On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, 'If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink.  Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.'  By this He meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were later to receive.  Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified." John 7:37-39

"Then Jesus declared, 'I am the bread of life.  He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty." John 6:35

"Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost.
Why spend money on what is not bread,
and labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare."  Isaiah 55:1-2

"Taste and see that the LORD is good;
blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

There is a great need for physical food and there is a greater need for spiritual food.  Jesus Christ is that food and drink.  His body was broken for us as bread and His blood was poured out for us as wine.  In communion we remind ourselves of our need to have Jesus to survive in the same way we need food and drink.

"Whoever is wise, let him heed these things
and consider the great love of the LORD." Psalm 107:43

God's love for us is great.  He has given us His Son.  And He has given His Son for others.  So, as I was reminded of the luxury I have with raspberries and M&Ms that others don't, as I was drawn to pray that others would have food, I am also drawn to thank God for the good food and drink He gave me in Jesus and I am compelled to pray for those who are spiritually starving.  Pray with me that those who are dying of spiritual starvation would taste and see that the LORD is good today.

No comments:

Post a Comment