Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Friday, June 8, 2018

The Cult of the Way We've Always Done Things

On Sunday our church voted to hire a new senior pastor named Jonathan Davis.  I'm excited to have Pastor Jonathan and his family join us but I am worried about something.

I'm worried about a dangerous cult.  A cult that has affected so many organizations and individuals.  A cult to which churches are not immune.

I'm worried about the Cult of the Way We've Always Done Things.

The Cult of the Way We've Always Done Things is something I hope Grace Baptist Church avoids.  Now, the ways things have been done are hopefully not all bad.  I've been a part of the way we've done things and many great Christians I admire have been influential in creating many of the ways we've always done things.  That being said, I hope we avoid the Cult of the Way We've Always Done Things.

Our new senior pastor will come and continue many of the ministries that we already have in place.  Jonathan will do some things the way they were done before he arrived and he may come to appreciate the ways things have been done.  But he will most certainly make some changes.

Why am I writing this and why do you care about my church's leadership transition?

I write this because the Cult of the Way We've Always Done Things is a problem in, dare I claim, every single church that wants to grow.  If you are part of a local church that is attempting to grow in its mission, and I hope you are, then you will feel the pull toward this cult. 

"Obey your leaders and submit to their authority.  They keep watch over you as men who must give an account.  Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you."  Hebrews 13:17

I write this for myself as much as for you.  I have a hard time resisting the Cult of the Way We've Always Done Things, too.  I have to work hard to submit to authority and to obey leaders and to TRUST them. 

Trust is what this is all about.  Why do we want to do things the way they've always been done?  Because we know it works.  Could the new idea work better?  Perhaps, but I know and like the way it's always been done.  Simply saying that something is not the way we've always done things is not enough reason not to try it.

So, I implore you to trust your church leaders.  Not to trust blindly, but to trust.  We want our leaders to serve us with joy.  They must give an account for how they lead and that is enough stress.  We must trust that they are calling on God for guidance and that they desire to lead us like the Good Shepherd to green pastures and quiet waters even if we must go through the valley of the shadow of change. 

Avoid the Cult of the Way We've Always Done Things.  Be willing  to experience change because growth in the depth and breadth of your church's ministry will always involve a change of some sort.  Embrace the changes your leaders lead your church body to and be excited for the growth that change might cause in all of you today.




No comments:

Post a Comment