Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Friday, April 11, 2014

Stand in Awe

"Guard your steps when you go to the house of God.  Go near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools, who do not know that they are wrong.

Do not be quick with your mouth,
do not be hasty in your heart
to utter anything before God.
God is in heaven
and you are on earth,
so let your words be few.
As a dreams comes when there are many cares,
so the speech of a fool when there are many words.

When you make a vow to God, do not delay in fulfilling it.  He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow.  It is better not to vow than to make a vow and not fulfill it.  Do not let your mouth lead you into sin.  And do not protest to the temple messenger, 'My vow was a mistake.'  Why should God be angry at what you say and destroy the work of your hands?  Much dreaming and many words are meaningless.  Therefore stand in awe of God."
Ecclesiastes 5:1-7

These words are from wise King Solomon and they ring so true in my life.  So often I see what God has done for me and I make plans to do something for Him.  So often I see how unworthy of His love I am and I then try to earn it.  King Solomon would advice me to keep my mouth shut.

I need to go to God and listen more than I go to speak.  The Bible is chalk full of what God has done for me, I need to accept what He's done for me like a baby.  By that I mean, has anyone ever fed a baby and had the baby try to pay us back?  No way.  We should be the same with God.  We are so helpless compared to Him so we need to just accept His gifts rather than swearing to pay Him back.

Pay attention to the words we say and sing in this regard.  So often we say and sing promises that we can't do.  We sing in the song "Amazing Love", "In all I do, I honor you."  No, I don't; in all I do, I honor you is a bold faced lie in my life.  Rather, I sing to God, "In all I do, let me honor you."  I want to ask Him to enable me to do everything, when I start making vows and promises to God I better make sure I can fulfill them.  It is better not to vow than to break a vow, especially with God.

Come to God in awe.  Come to be lost in worship of Him.  Should we try to please our God?  Absolutely, but we should just do what we are going to do rather than come to Him with a list of ways we are going to work in His name.

"Much dreaming and many words are meaningless.  Therefore stand in awe of God."  As Easter comes closer and we enter Holy Week may that be our aim, to be in awe of God.  Come to Him with eyes full of love, hearts full of thanksgiving, minds bursting in wonder and mouths shut.  Stand in awe of God today.

No comments:

Post a Comment