Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Friday, April 4, 2014

Somebody's Watching Me

In 1984 R&B singer Rockwell released the song "Somebody's Watching Me" which peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100.  The song is ridiculously catchy, I mean it will be in your head for a week if you listen to it.  Rockwell had Jermaine Jackson and Michael Jackson sing on it which is awesome, but the lyrics are nutty at best.  Give it a listen if you've never heard it.

The song is stupid, but it came to my mind when I read 2 Corinthians chapter 6.

"We put no stumbling block in anyone's path, so that our ministry will not be discredited.  Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses; in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger; in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love; in truthful speech and in the power of God; with weapons of righteousness in the right hand and in the left; through glory and dishonor, bad report and good report; genuine, yet regarded as impostors; known, yet regarded as unknown; dying, and yet we live on; beaten, but yet not killed; sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything."  2 Corinthians 6:3-10

Beside the fact that Paul wrote all that using only two sentences, a lot can come to our mind when we read those verses.  The great paradoxes of the Christian life should be one of them, "sorrowful, yet always rejoicing" for example.  The weapons of righteousness (see Ephesians chapter 6 for more) should be another.  But I want to look at something different.

Somebody's always watching us; therefore put no stumbling blocks in anyone's path, so that our ministry will not be discredited.  Christians, we must strive to live the Christian life at all times because our actions testify to the Gospel we claim.

Does the way you act in good times and in bad proclaim the Gospel?  I'm asking myself the same thing.  My answer is "Not always."  Do I show endurance in the faith in troubles, hardships and distresses?  Could I, like Paul, be beaten, imprisoned, hungry, sleepless and still have it said of me that I lived out the Gospel?  Do people see patience, kindness and understanding in my life, especially in regard to people I don't naturally like?

I'm trying hard to be more like Christ in all circumstances.  I've got a loooonnnng way to go, but I will get there because "He who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion."

Somebody's watching me.  Somebody's watching you.  Do they see Jesus?  Or do they see something that makes the Gospel look unattractive?  Are you a stumbling block?  Do they think, "If Christians are like that I don't want to be one."?

People are watching you.  To quote an old hymn, "let others see Jesus in you" and your actions today.  


1 comment:

  1. This definitely relates to my life today. Thank you for your honesty- "not always." Me too. I caught myself complaining a lot today, even though CL and I just memorized Phil. 2:14-15 a week ago. BUT I also literally just thought of Phil. 1:6 like half an hour ago -- I guess God really wants me to believe it tonight. I am not worthy of all His blessings or being called to do His work in the world, but HE is faithful, and that is enough. :) Woo! I want to live out Christ and 1 Peter 3:15 in all I do! I have a lot of friends not walking with Christ right now, and it's hard sometimes -- but I'm sooo happy to be present in their paths! JC, give me strength!! Also- "Live Like That" by Sidewalk Prophets! This post you wrote is a lot like the description I wrote about my Lent goals that I wrote on March 5th and contemplated posting on my blog tonight.

    ReplyDelete