Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Awesome Word- Hebrews 4

In 1998 I was obsessed with the home-run chase between Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa.  Both McGwire, the Cardinal, and Sosa, the Cub, were chasing Roger Maris' single season home-run record of 61.  Every day I had to see if one of them hit a homer.  I didn't have ESPN back then, so I'd either watch the Saturday featured game which without a doubt showcased one of these two giants or I'd watch Len Dawson's sports report on the news to what Big Mac and Slammin' Sammy did (By the way how awesome was it for me to have NFL legend Len Dawson as my TV sports guy!)

On September 8th, 1998 Mark McGwire took Chicago Cubs pitcher Steve Trachsel yard just over the left field wall for his 62nd dinger of the year.  McGwire set the record and eventually would hit 70 home-runs that year.  The next day I got a copy of the Kansas City Star with the headline "62 in St. Lou".  I held on to that newspaper for quite a while.

Later, my dad showed me a newspaper he kept.  It was the Lawton Constitution's issue when Hank Aaron hit his then record 715th career home-run.  That paper was fascinating to me. However, both the paper from Mark McGwire's record and Hank Aaron's record don't do me much good today.  As someone who appreciates history I can enjoy the papers, but I will never base my life off of the information in them.

The Bible is not like an old newspaper.  The Bible is not like an old history book either.  History changes; in fact, there is an entire study of this phenomenon called historiography.  The Bible is not like a newspaper, history book or even a classic novel.

"For the Word of God is living and active.  Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."  Hebrews 4:12

The Bible is as applicable today as it was 2,000+ years ago.  The Bible is something I can and will base my life around.

Now, when the writer of Hebrews says the Bible is living he does not mean it is changing.  Rather, he means that the Bible still works powerfully today and one of the reasons it is living is the Holy Spirit.  The Spirit teaches us the Bible.  Have you ever read a passage a hundred times and then on the one-hundred-first time something seemingly new pops off the page to you?  This is part of what it means when it says the Bible is living and active.  Also, it's living and active because it still changes lives.  The Bible has the power to cut us to our core.  It has the power to judge our thoughts and attitudes.

The Word is awesome.  The Bible is not an outdated manuscript.  No, it is the most up to date book in the world.  It is relevant and always will be and we don't have to make it relevant, the Spirit will do that.

Open your Bible and let it penetrate your soul.  Let the Word of God change your life today.   

No comments:

Post a Comment