Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Wisdom Quest II- Hold on to the Bar

I am continuing in the book of Proverbs and I would like to encourage you to take a look at this easy to read book.  My strategy has been a chapter a day and you can read the book in one month (thanks Pastor John).   While in the middle of reading Proverbs I was floored by an illustration I heard this morning from my friend Dean.

Dean and his wife are watching their grandkids this week, ages 5 and 10.  Now Dean was helping the 5-year-old in the tub.  The little guy was finished with his bath and began to get out.  As he rose out of the tub he didn't hold on to the safety bar attached to the wall.

 Dean said, "Hold on to the bar so you don't fall and get hurt."

The little guy snapped back, "I don't need to use the bar.  My dad never makes me do it!"

"You will use the bar so you don't get hurt and that's final." replied Dean.

Dean told me that he is sure that 99 times out of 100 this bar attached to the wall is unnecessary.  But why not use it?  See, Dean wasn't being mean by making his grandson use the bar; he was protecting him.

Isn't it the same with God and us?  God gives us proverbs and promises to hold on to.  He gives us boundaries to secure us.  Now, we could live life pretty well most of the time without these.  But God, like Dean, says, "Hold on to the freakin' bar!"

Dean loves his grandson and will be stern enough to keep his grandson safe.  God loves us and will be stern enough to keep His children safe.

So hold on to the bar.

Here are some bars to hold on to from Proverbs chapters 11-17...
Proverbs 11:7, Proverbs 12:25, Proverbs 13:20, Proverbs 14:12, Proverbs 15:30, Proverbs 16:3 and Proverbs 17:17.

Take a look at these Proverbs and hold on to the promises and truths of God today.

No comments:

Post a Comment