Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Christ's Authority in Matthew 28

Well, after 10 months I'm just about done with my study in the book of Matthew.  During this time it has been nice to become reacquainted with my Savior.  I mean, I have almost forgotten who He is and who He isn't.  Our culture has dumbed down Jesus.  He has been made less radical and powerful, but Matthew shows Him to be the powerful king that He is.

So, as we finish Matthew in chapter 28 we see Him get victory over the grave, but we also see Him give us a mission.  Our mission, if we choose to accept (which we have to if we are really Christians), is the Great Commission.

Matthew 28:18-20 "Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always to the very end of the age.'"

Our mission is:
1) Make disciples not just converts.
2) Baptize them.
3) Teach them to obey Christ's commands.

Now we have to ask why Jesus can send us on this mission?  The answer sandwiches the mission and explains who Jesus is.

First reason.  "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me."  Meaning, "I am the King of Kings".  When we go on this mission we are basically the town cryer shouting, "Hear ye, hear ye on authority of the King of Kings..."

Jesus can authorize this mission because He is the King.

Second reason.  "And surely I am with you always to the very end of the age."  Meaning, "I am your friend and I will ensure success of this mission."  When we go on this mission our friend Jesus comes with us.

Jesus can authorize this mission because He is going with us as our friend to ensure our success.

Choose this mission because Jesus is King and friend.  That's one of the dual natures of Christ.  He is 100% God and man and He is King and friend (Biblically I don't know if I can do the math on this one).  God is King, God is friend, serve your King with the help of your friend today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment