Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Monday, April 3, 2017

What Informs Your Opinions?

Christians, what is the number one thing that informs your opinions?

Today we're given a platform to have an opinion on a myriad of things.  We post on social media or blog or speak about our opinions on governmental strategies, abortion, lifestyles, immigration, morality, etc.  What informs your opinions on those subjects?

Many will say science informs their decisions and that's not a bad thing.  Scientific reasoning helps us understand the world around us better.  This is a great way to inform your opinions and one that I use often.

Many will say history informs their decisions and that's not a bad thing.  Paying close attention to what has worked or failed in the past is a wise endeavor.  I studied history in college and found it a great framework for seeing the world.

But as Christians I fear we get informed by many things but not by the Bible.  Scientific reason, historical reason and logic should no doubt help us form our opinions, but never at the exclusion of the Word of God.

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen; not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Do you submit to the Word of God?  Do you put yourself under it and let it guide your worldview?  Is God's Word the number one thing that informs your opinions?

We must be reasonable, we must use the facts, these are not anti-Christian by any means.  Christianity is a reasonable religion.  However, too many of us never or rarely go to the Bible when making decisions.

When we discuss our opinions, especially when we discuss them Christian-to-Christian, I don't care what you think until you explain how the Bible and character of God informed your position.  Are you so called pro-choice or pro-life?  Tell me how the Word influences that.  Are you for homosexual marriage?  Tell me how the Word influences that.  Are you for cutting social programs?  Tell me how the Word influences that.  We must be more influenced by the Word of God on issues that we are our conscious or our point of view or the latest study.

Submit to the Word of God.  Place yourself under what it says.  Don't try to bend it to your will; have your will and your mind changed by it today.




No comments:

Post a Comment