Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Faith, The Cubs and Opening Day

I wrote a post last year that is fitting for today so I'm using it again.  I hope you enjoy it the second time around.  Although I have even less confidence in Chicago this year than I did last year.  I'm already thinking next year.


I love Opening Day of the Major League Baseball season.  Opening Day means hope.  Every team, except the Pirates, comes in today feeling that they will be the World Series champions come November.  


This year my Cubbies are winning it all.  I've put my hope in it.  This year is The Year.  I know I've said it before, but this is it.  Hey Chicago What Do You Say?  The Cubs Are Gonna Win Today!


I put my hopes in the Cubs every opening day and ever year come November I find that my hope has been misplaced, but not this year.


I am very glad that my hope in the Northsiders isn't the same as my hope in Jesus.  The Cubs have never come through for me, in fact every time I go to Wrigley they lose.  Conversely, Jesus has never let me down.


My hope in Christ is completely different than my hope in the Cubs... THANK GOD!


Paul writes this to the church in Corinth:


"We are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord.  We live by faith, not by sight.  We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord."  2 Corinthians 5:6-8


Paul was so confident in his hope in Christ that he was excited to and willing to die.  I've never had enough confidence in the Cubs to risk my life on a bet that they would win it all; but I have enough confidence in Christ to risk my life on a safe bet that He will win it all.  Christ is a sure bet.  He is not only the place to put our hope, He is the source of it.  Every day is Opening Day with the hope I have in Jesus.


So cheer for the Cubs, maybe even hope they win it all this year, enjoy Opening Day, but remember that our hope is in the Lord today.

No comments:

Post a Comment