Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mothers' Day

Proverbs 1:8 "Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching."

The book of Proverbs starts by telling us how important wisdom is.  Immediately following King Solomon's statement of purpose for the book of Proverbs he starts into the meat of the book.  The first verse in the meat of the book is Proverbs 1:8.  Why is this?

Well, the further I get from my parents' direct control the more I realize how right they were.  Being as tomorrow is Mothers' Day, I want to give my mom the credit she deserves that I didn't give her then.

Mom, thank you.  Thank you for your teaching, much of which I am finally seeing the wisdom in like:

"Do your homework before you watch TV."  Boy, the TV is such a distraction for me.  I need to do the important things before I veg out in front of the TV.

"Don't go out of the house looking like that."  Thank you.  I've had to learn, and I'm still learning, that appearance is important.  In sales I have to take away negative first impressions.

"Wear clean underwear.  I don't want to be embarrassed if you you get into an accident."  Okay, this one I still don't get.  Mom, you seriously were worried about what underwear I had on when the EMTs came to my rescue?

 "Wake up and get ready for church."  My parents made me go to church when I didn't want to.  I usually wanted to because I enjoyed church, but on those days I didn't want to wake up she made me go.  Thank you.

Thank you Mom for giving me teachings that have stuck with me.

Remember to honor your mother today.

1 comment:

  1. Kathie Ray-GrekoffMay 9, 2011 at 2:03 PM

    Thank you for this post, Matthew. It is nice to know that the things that we harps and harped at our kids about really did sink in eventually! I am so very proud of the way that you turned out. You are such a Godly young man, any mother would be proud to call you her son, but I am the lucky one, or should I say the "blessed" one who does! Love you, Mom :)

    ReplyDelete