Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

God Keeps His Promises

Tuesday was my grandma's (Mimi's) funeral, so almost all of the family was in town for the days surrounding the funeral.

My cousin Ashley said that Saturday night she was praying.  She prayed that God would give her a sign that Mimi was in Heaven.  She asked for a sign and then decided that she'd better ask for a specific sign, so she asked that God would send her a rainbow as a sign that Mimi was in Heaven.

Sunday morning came and there was rain, but no rainbow.

The whole family went to the church that my grandparents attend.  The adults worshipped while Harper, Ashley's two and a half year old daughter, went to the children's programming.

When Harper was let out of class she ran up to her mother and said, "Look what I made for Mimi!"

This is what she made.



God had answered my cousin's prayer in a more direct way than she could have imagined.  Harper didn't know her mother's prayer, but God did.  The picture was soon copied and given to everyone in the family who wanted one and one was placed in Mimi's casket during the visitation and funeral.

God keep's His promises.

The picture was such an obvious answer to Ashley's prayer.  She was given a sign like Gideon in the book of Judges.  Now we aren't instructed to ask God for signs, but He was gracious and gave one.  But He has given us all very clear messages.  See, "God Keeps His Promises" is more than something on Harper's picture, it is one of the best truths in the Bible.

From cover to cover there are, as the Apostle Peter said in 2 Peter 1:4, "great and precious promises" in the Bible for believers.  Often times the easiest truths to say are the most precious.  God keeps His promises is one of these priceless truths.  You don't need a seminary degree to have a faith that can buoy you in a storm, much of the time it's the truths we learn as children that keep us afloat.

My grandma is in Heaven because God promised her she would be.

"Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God; trust also in me.  In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.  You know the way to the place where I am going.'

Thomas said, 'Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?'

Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.'"  John 14:1-6

Children's ministry workers, be encouraged.  What you are teaching the little ones makes a world of difference, more than you will ever know at times.  Stay faithful to your calling knowing that the Word of God never returns void.

Those of us holding on to faith, remember that God keeps ALL His promises.  Take time to read and think about the many promises God has made to you, today.

No comments:

Post a Comment