Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Acts 9- Microwave and Crock Pot Change

Acts 9 is an incredibly familiar passage, but that being said read it before continuing.

Acts 9 is the unbelievable story of the conversion of Saul (later Paul).  Saul starts off the chapter "still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord's disciples," but by the end of the chapter Saul is friends with the disciples and is beginning his first missionary work by heading to Tarsus.

When many of us read about the conversion and amazing change of Saul (Paul) we think, "What is wrong with me? Why is it taking me so long to make a difference?"

When you read Acts 9 the sequence of events is boom, boom, boom fast; however, that is just the pace of Acts.  Let's look at Galatians to hear how Paul tells the same story of his conversion.  I'm writing from Galatians 1:13-18

"For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it.  I was advancing in Judaism beyond many Jews of my own age and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers.  But when God, who set me apart from birth and called me by His grace, was pleased to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus.

Then after three years, I returned to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Peter and stayed with him for fifteen days."

So the sequence in Acts 9 happened over a 3 year fifteen day period.  Saul was not the Billy Graham of his time over night, God took time to prepare him.

So, what can we learn?  I believe this shows, as my pastor likes to say, that God changes us both like a microwave and a Crock Pot.

God changed Saul like a microwave.  He's on the road to Damascus to kill Christians and boom three days later he is a Christian.  Saul immediately began to share the good news with those around him.

God changed Saul like a Crock Pot.  He waited three years to even visit the disciples.  Saul spent time in the desert of Arabia and in Damascus being prepared for his role as the greatest missionary of all time.

When we begin to ask God, "Why are you taking so long to use me?  Didn't you call me to great things?"  When we ask this we should think of Saul.  Saul was faithful sharing the Gospel in the community around him before God expanded his mission field.  Therefore, if God is calling you to a big thing, be faithful in the smaller role He has given now.  Now is when God is preparing you to do a big thing.

God will change your heart immediately when you come to Him.  Yet, God will change your heart over time as well so that you can do amazing things for Him.  Be patient, but don't neglect to be faithful in the small things today.

2 comments:

  1. "God changes us both like a microwave and a Crock Pot"
    "Be patient, but don't neglect to be faithful in the small things today."
    I like these 2 thoughts.

    ReplyDelete