Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Friday, December 10, 2021

Advent- Christmas Food

 

During Advent I want to take four non-sacred aspects of Christmastime and look at how we can use them to point ourselves and our families to Christ.  We will look at Christmas lights, Christmas trees, Christmas food and Christmas presents.  Hopefully, these four things will train your eyes to remember Jesus well.


Growing up my favorites were the peanut butter cookies with the Hershey Kisses in the middle.  Sometimes my mom put those Branch's star chocolates in the middle.  They tasted best fresh out of the oven, but I would eat them whenever I could.  

My wife likes the traditional Christmas cookies that you decorate yourself.  We take food coloring and make frosting and use sprinkles to decorate our snowmen, bells, stockings and Santa hats.  We even have a cookie cutter that's in the shape of the state of Iowa.  I find it hard to not just eat them instead of placing them on the wax paper to dry.

Then there's the drinks.  Eggnog comes in too small of a container.  I wouldn't mind buying a gallon for myself at the store.  My mom, some years, makes hot wassail, which is awesome.  And our tradition before opening presents is drinking sparking grape juice, or pretend wine as Joshua calls it.

Christmas Eve after church was soup night when I was younger.  I can still smell the house upon returning from Christmas Eve service, if I close my eyes.  At my wife's side I've become partial to Swedish meatballs on or around Christmas.

What are some of the Christmas tastes and smells you love?




"Then they asked Him, 'What miraculous sign then will you give that we may see it and believe in you?  What will you do?  Our forefathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written: 'He gave them bread from Heaven to eat.'
Jesus said to them, 'I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from Heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from Heaven.  For the bread of God is He who comes down from Heaven and gives life to the world.'
'Sir,' they said, 'from now on give us this bread.'
Then Jesus declared, 'I am the bread of life.  He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirst."  John 6:30-35


As we feast on the Christmastime foods, may we remember that Jesus is the Bread of Life.  That He is the satisfying drink.

"Taste and see that the LORD is good;" Psalm 34:8a


Jesus invites us during Advent, and all year, to experience Him; to taste and see.  Jesus will be found metaphorically fulfilling and pleasing.  Jesus will be found far better than even those peanut butter blossom cookies.  He will be more fulfilling than gallons upon gallons of eggnog.  Jesus is the One our spiritual tastebuds have been searching for and what our spiritual stomachs need more than anything else.

"While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to His disciples, saying, 'Take and eat; this is my body.'
Then He took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, 'Drink from it, all of you.  This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins." Luke 26:26-28


As we enjoy the tastes and delicious smells of this holiday may we not forget to taste and see that the LORD is good.  May we go to the Bread of Life even as we enjoy our aunt's homemade bread.  As we drink our pretend, or real, wine may we remember the sacrifice of the God-Man's birthday we are celebrating.  

If you have kids use these treats to teach them about Jesus... you will have their attention.  And when you eat and drink do it all to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31) today.


No comments:

Post a Comment