Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Monday, April 12, 2021

Remember the Sabbath

 Iowa midwest values don't often directly fly in the face of one of the 10 Commandments, unless you're talking about #4.  We are bad a Sabbaths.  Outside of Fareway (if you don't get the reference, you're not from Iowa) we pride ourselves not taking a break, let alone a whole day.  

I'm bad at this, too.  I pride myself on the number of hours worked and the volume of games I broadcast.  I am bad at saying "no" to various obligations.  I'm not good at keeping the Sabbath and that makes me a sinner in this regard.

"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.  Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God.  On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates.  For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but He rested on the seventh day.  Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."  Exodus 20:8-11

In a culture of taking pride in hours and days worked and in a culture of go, go, go, run, run, run; why should we Sabbath?  I'm preaching this to myself.  Why should I Sabbath?

1) I Am Finite.

The Sabbath reminds me that I am not infinite.  I have an end and I reach it if I do not rest.  Taking a Sabbath is a recognition that I need it.  If I don't recognize that I need it my health, mental and physical, will remind me.  God gave me the Sabbath to rest.

2) I Need to Remember That God Takes Care of Me.

Too often I work as though my existence depends upon it.  I work hard, not only because I enjoy it, but also because I think I am self-reliant.  Do you remember the story of the manna in the desert?  God rained down bread from heaven for the people of Israel.  For five days they gathered enough just for that day, but on the sixth day they gathered enough for two.  On the Sabbath they were not to gather manna. 

"Nevertheless, some of the people went out on the seventh day to gather it, but they found none.  Then the LORD said to Moses, 'How long will you refuse to keep my commands and instructions?  Bear in mind that the LORD has given you the Sabbath; that is why on the sixth day He gives you bread for two days.  Everyone is to stay where he is on the seventh day; no one is to go out.'  So the people rested on the seventh day." Exodus 16:27-30

There are times when I ignore the Sabbath in order to be more productive, only to realize, like the Israelites, that my Sabbath work is in vain.  God takes care of me through my efforts and in my rest.  There are times I don't Sabbath because I think other people need me too much.  Remembering the Sabbath reminds me that I am not God for myself or for other people.  God can take care of them much better than I can.

3) The Sabbath is Holy.

I am called to pray without ceasing, always rejoice and always give thanks to God (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).  Every single day I should rejoice and be glad in that day (Psalm 118:24).  But I know that Sundays are different.  I know that my time with the gathered local church is special.  God knew this, too.  The Sabbath is a holy (set apart) day unto the Lord.

4) The Sabbath is Made for Me.  

In Mark 2:27 Jesus said, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath."  This passage has much to say and one thing it says is the Sabbath was designed by God for me, for us.  I can treat the Sabbath as a burden or a blessing.  Jesus says it is a blessing.  

This most recent Sunday I thought of this blessing.  We all went to church and enjoyed worship and conversations with friends.  We came home and took a good nap.  Then we went out and had our first fire in the new backyard fire pit before supper.  As the kids ran around playing and we sat by the fire I felt blessed.  That one day made the work of the week worth it.  That one day is lodged in my mind as a good memory.  It charged me.

5) God Told Me to Remember the Sabbath.

This one really should be enough, if I'm obedient.  Father knows best.


I'm bad at Sabbathing.  I need to get better at this.  I need to take time to take time.  Join me in trying to Sabbath better this week.  

Remember the Sabbath today.



No comments:

Post a Comment