Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Saul Didn't Become Paul

One common misconception, and one that I had for many years, is the Saul became Paul.  If you remember the story of the murderous man named Saul that became the Apostle we call Paul you may have heard that Saul's name was changed to Paul, but it wasn't exactly.

Abram became Abraham.  Simon became Peter.  Saul did not become Paul.

In the book of Acts we do meet this man Saul and in the book of Acts his name is also Paul and there is a point when he is only called Paul, but his name did not change. 

"Then Saul, who was also called Paul..." Acts 13:9a

See, Saul and Paul are interchangeable names but there is a great lesson to be learn from these names.  Saul is the Jewish name and Paul is the Greek language equivalent of the same name.  Saul is a very formal name and Paul literally means small. 

See, Paul didn't get handed a new name, rather he adjusted himself to reach the audience to whom he was preaching.  In Acts Saul begins to be referred to as Paul during his first missionary journey and is always called Paul thereafter.

The Apostle Paul was willing to be flexible in culture in order to preach the Gospel to many.  Paul had the freedom and right to continue being called Saul.  He was not divinely re-named.  Instead he chose to change a very intimate part of his very identity in order to identify with the lost souls he was intending to reach.

"Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.  To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews.  To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.  To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law.  To the weak I became weak, to win the weak.  I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.  I do all this for the sake of the Gospel, that I may share in its blessings." 1 Corinthians 9:19-23

Do you see this?  Paul/Saul was so dedicated to being a part of God's saving lost people that he was willing to adjust his life in order to win souls.  He was willing to change his very name.  He was willing to change his very customs.  He was willing to NOT exercise the freedom he had if need be to win souls for Jesus.

Do you have that mindset?  Are you willing to sacrifice your preferences in order to share the Good News?  Do you become a slave to others on your own accord, disregarding the very freedom you have in order to approach those in need?  Do you immerse yourself in the culture of your neighborhood in the pursuit of gaining an open door to share Jesus' victory tale with them?

Saul did not become Paul.  No, Saul went by Paul for the sake of the Gospel.  Paul intentionally gave up a piece of his intimate identity to achieve the goal Christ set before him.

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training.  They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.  Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air.  No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Our faith is about dying unto self and living for God and others.  How can you be like the Apostle Paul and die unto your self to share in the victory with Jesus today?

No comments:

Post a Comment