Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Monday, April 20, 2015

Hate and Adoration

My Bible study and I are going through the book of Psalms again.  We are reading one psalm a day and then discussing them during our study.  I encourage you to join us in reading the Psalms.

As we read chapters one through seven I was struck by a couple things: David's hatred of evil and his adoration of God's character.

1) David hates evil.  This can clearly be seen in Psalm chapters one through seven.

"You will rule them with an iron scepter;
you will dash them to pieces like pottery." Psalm 2:9

"Strike all my enemies on the jaw;
break the teeth of the wicked." Psalm 3:7b

"Declare them guilty, O God!
Let their intrigues be their downfall.
Banish them for their many sins,
for they have rebelled against you." Psalm 5:10

"Arise, O LORD, in your anger;
rise up against the rage of my enemies.
Awake, my God; decree justice"  Psalm 7:6

I'm left asking, "Do I hate evil as much as I should?"  Now David had people in mind that were trying to kill him when he wrote these songs, I don't.  But I do have Satan and his demons that are trying to blind the minds of those of people to keep them from seeing the glory of Christ.  I have Christian brothers being killed in Libya for nothing more than being believers.  Do I hate evil, or have I grown tolerant of evil?  I'm not talking about the people who do evil, but sin itself and Satan.

2) David adored God's character.

"For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous..." Psalm 1:6

"The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
the Lord scoffs at them."  Psalm 2:4

"From the LORD comes deliverance..." Psalm 3:8

"You have filled my heart with greater joy
than when their grain and new wine abound.
I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety."  Psalm 4:6-8

"You are not a God who take pleasure in evil,"  Psalm 5:4

"The LORD has heard my cry for mercy;
the LORD accepts my prayer."  Psalm 6:9

"I will give thanks to the LORD because of His righteousness
and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High."  Psalm 7:17

Do I adore God's character like David did?  Do I adore the fact that God watches and sees all that I do?  That He is sovereign and laughs when people think they control their own destiny?  That He delivers me?  That He bestows great joy, peace and safety?  That He is so holy that He can't stand any evil?  That He is merciful and hears my prayer?

I think Psalm 7:17 gives us a great template for adoring God's character.  "I will give thanks to the LORD because of His ___________ and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High."

Fill in the blank with all the characteristics of God that you can think of.  Perhaps, sit down for your Bible study and try to list all the ways you could fill in that blank.  You'll be surprised, pleasantly, how many reasons you have to adore God.

So, hate evil and the evil one as much as you should, abhor it like God does; and adore God for who He is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment