Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Psalm 62- God is Both Loving and Strong

"My soul finds rest in God alone;
my salvation comes from Him.
He alone is my rock and salvation;
He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

How long will you assault a man?
Would all of you throw him down...
this leaning wall, this tottering fence?
They fully intend to topple him
from his lofty place;
they take delight in lies.
With their mouths they bless,
but in their hearts they curse.

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from Him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
He is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

My salvation and my honor depend on God;
He is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Trust in Him at all times, O people;
pour out your hearts to Him,
for God is our refuge.

Lowborn men are but a breath,
the highborn are but a lie;
if weighed on a balance, they ar nothing;
together they are only a breath.
Do not trust in extortion
or take pride is stolen goods;
though your riches increase,
do not set your heart on them.

One thing God has spoken,
two things have I heard:
that you, O God, are strong,
and that you, O Lord, are loving.
Surely you will reward each person
according to what he has done."

There are so many good things in this psalm but a couple leaped of the page at me.  First, "if weighed on a balance, they are nothing."  This means that if we took the best of the best of the best human being and placed him on the teater-totter he wouldn't even come close to pushing his side to the ground.  Why? Because God is sitting on the other side.  Whenever we try to measure our goodness God has to be sitting on the other side of the balance because He is the standard of goodness.

Second thing that exploded off the page; "that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving."  God must be both or there is no reason to give our lives to Him.  If He is strong but not loving then He is a tyrant.  If He is loving but not strong then He is just a nice guy who can't save us.  But thank God He is 100% both!  He is almighty and is the definition of love!  That is the God we serve and why David can say, "My soul finds rest in God alone."

Serve our all powerful, loving God today.

No comments:

Post a Comment