Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday.  Growing up this day meant next to nothing to me.  Then I went to a Lutheran College and I enjoyed the attention this day received.  I don't think this is a necessary celebration for Christians, I know St. Paul would agree with me there, but I have started to celebrate Ash Wednesday and the season of Lent in the past few years.

During Lent many of you and millions of Christians worldwide give something up as part of a fast.  Sweets, pop, swearing, TV and the list continues.  I have never given anything up for Lent.

However, I have in the past couple of years made it my aim to focus on a daily discipline.  Last year I decided to write a blog post every day.  This forced me to read the Bible critically and think in a focused manner about my God every day.  I grew so much in my understand of God last year.  So, rather than picking a new discipline I have decided to repeat last year's.

I hope you benefit from this Lenten Challenge (the word challenge helps guys like me get motivated) as much as I do.  If you want to read every day, great.  If you don't, that's great too.  This is a personal discipline, but I hope I can perhaps help your faith during Lent as well.

Please pray that God helps me to see Him and understanding His Word daily.  And think about what you might want to do for Lent today.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading your insights.
    This will be the first year in many that I will consciously observe Lent; I am the pianist for evening Lenten services at Bartels. I grew up attending a Lutheran church but since college have attended Baptist or non-denominational churches that did not observe this season in the church.
    CJW

    ReplyDelete