Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Matthew 7

Matthew 7 is the final chapter of the account of the Sermon on the Mount.  This chapter is also awesome and packed with good, practical advice.  But in reading it a few things stood out to me.

Jesus begins the chapter (not that he spoke in chapters) by saying, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged."  This is the non-Christian's favorite verse of the Bible.  This may be better known than John 3:16 to most of the world.

People hate to be judged, and they should hate being judged.  Jesus is serious when he commands us not to judge unless we like being judged.  Still, I'm bad at this.  I will judge someone based on what they wear.  I'll judge you from the first moment I see you.  I hope this doesn't scare you away, but it's true.  Jesus is commanding me not to judge and I need to listen!

Judging is what non-Christians hate most about Christians.  I get it too.  We become exclusive when we judge... and we should never be exclusive.

However, God is exclusive.  I'm not saying God doesn't love everyone.  He does.  But he is Holy and can't be any other way.  Read this, "Wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.  But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it".

Some loving God, huh?!  Hell is going to be more crowded with people than Heaven?!  Some loving God!  Yes, he is very loving.  We all deserve Hell, all of us.  It is unfair that any receive Heaven.

Here's the tough thing.  We Christians are called to not judge, and we are told that many people are walking straight to Hell.  What are we to do?  Is it judging to tell them they are wrong, to say 'look out, cliff ahead'?

Jesus leaves us hanging, doesn't he?  He contradicts himself, doesn't he?  No, he doesn't.  The glue that holds these two statements both together as truth is Love.  Love is the difference.  Look at verse 12.  The Golden Rule: "Do to others what you would have them do to you."  When we are discerning whether we are judgmental or whether we are warning others of impending doom, we just need to test it with The Golden Rule.

If you are warning someone out of Love, good.  If you are trying to look superior, don't do it.

For example: if I can't afford nice shirts don't judge me by pointing that out to me.  You wouldn't want that done to you, would you?  If I have dropped mustard on my shirt then tell me.  You would want me to do that for you, wouldn't you?  The heart is the key.

So love people.  Warn them about the penalty of sin and point them to Jesus who can fix them.  Do not judge for judging's sake according to your standard; or God will gladly judge you according to his standard, which is perfection.

Love and do not judge today, but fight for the Truth.

1 comment: