Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Monday, November 7, 2022

Election Day Peace

 Anxious and Angry people must be more likely to vote.

Election Day is Tuesday, November 8th and once again we've been told that it's the most important election of our lifetimes.  Now, I believe it is an awesome privilege to be able to vote.  Most human beings have not had a whiff of anything as powerful as a vote in the say of what happens to them and their neighbors.  I'm glad God had me born in a time and place where I can voice my opinion with a ballot.  And there are a host of major issues at stake in this election.  We have issues like inflation, abortion, student debt, gun laws, and more that will be influenced by Tuesday's results.  What party will control the House, the Senate, who will be your county treasurer, does the election become a national referendum on an issue or issues?

Please, educate yourself and vote.


But for the love of God please stop acting as though God isn't God.

Anxious and Angry people not only vote, but they drive ratings.  Many are in the business of stoking anger and anxiety in order to keep your attention long enough to sell fabric softener, beer and over the counter meds to cure the headache the show you watched just caused.  

I have been increasingly convinced that though some people really do enjoy politics and learning about and discussing politics, there are more that enHate than enJoy.  Many people in Iowa get stressed over elections in Texas, California and Georgia that they have no power to affect.  Many people give away such peace for absolutely no return.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with knowing national news.  There's nothing wrong with understanding the times.  But there is something wrong with how most of us go about it.  Most of us live Chicken Little lives in response to the news.  Most of us see a sky that is falling and don't see the God that is reigning.

This week I have been preparing to teach the youth about the sovereignty of God.  God's sovereignty is exactly why I have a peace that passes all understanding.

Today I was worried about something non-election (yes, that's a thing even on election eve).  As I thought about my worry and I thought about the sovereignty of God I did an exercise:  

I breathed in and out deeply while meditating on a phrase.  "God is my Father and He is sovereign."'  Breath.  "God is my Father and He is sovereign."  Breath.  "God is my Father and He is sovereign." Breath.  "God is my Father and He is sovereign."

Oh, what peace filled my mind as I stood waiting for my son to exit the school building.  Those few moments of deep breaths while focusing my mind on a truth of God gave me rest.  I invite you to try that today.


"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice.  Let your reasonableness be known to everyone.  The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is lovely, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.  What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me____ practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:4-9



No comments:

Post a Comment