Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Fried Chicken Thanksgiving

 Last year on Thanksgiving we stayed home.  We had a single friend come to our house for the feast that Christine made.  It was Christine's first time making the traditional meal and she enjoyed it, and so did we.  Last year was not our traditional Thanksgiving, but it was good.

This year was supposed to be different.  We were back on the holiday schedule.  This year we were to be with Christine's parents for Thanksgiving and mine for Christmas.  We were going to leave Wednesday afternoon and stay until Saturday.  The kids were going to see their grandparents and aunt and uncle.  Aunt Becca and Uncle Mike were going to see Gideon for the first time.

Then Tuesday Joshua tested positive for COVID-19.  Our plans were wrecked.  It was even too late to get a turkey thawed for Thanksgiving.

So, here we are again.  Another COVID Thanksgiving, this time with fried chicken.

We're disappointed.  This isn't the holiday we expected or wanted, but there are lots of reasons to be thankful.  I asked Joshua Tuesday afternoon if we could still be thankful even without grandma and grandpa and turkey.  He said, "Yes!"

Here are Joshua's reasons to be thankful:
"I am thankful for: God, my house, pizza, books, myself, Daddy, Mommy, Anna, Gideon, my family, everyone, cookies, mashed potatoes (likely not true), walls, words and letters, and our clock.


Anna's reason to be thankful:
"I am thankful for: Gideon, the moon and mashed potatoes."



This isn't the Thanksgiving we planned but it's what we got.  We'd rather be with extended family now anticipating pies and turkey tomorrow.  We'd rather be playing board games and talking with family with drink in hand by the fireplace.  I'd rather not have another Thanksgiving like this, but I am aware at how much I am blessed.  My problems are silly compared to most people currently living on this planet and are ridiculous compared to most people who have ever lived on this earth.  I am blessed materially far beyond the wildest dreams of most kings in the grand scope of history.

Most importantly, I'm blessed spiritually infinitely beyond measure.  I was an enemy of God and now I am His child (Romans 5).  I was responsible for the sin for which Jesus suffered and died and yet He is not ashamed to call me His brother (Hebrews 2:11).  I am a joint heir with Jesus instead of kindling for Hell's fire.

I am so thankful.  I have to remind myself of that.  My memory is so short and I'm extremely near-sighted when life doesn't fit my plan.  I need Thanksgiving to help me remember my many reasons to be full of gratitude and not a bad attitude. 

Happy Thanksgiving!  Feast, remember and count your many blessings today.

No comments:

Post a Comment