Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Monday, October 16, 2017

The Thrill of Being Liked

I work with youth at my church and I also do play-by-play for at least 125 high school sporting events each year.  I see young people interact quite a bit.

One of the common things you see in a high school setting is something we all remember well.  The male/female interaction.  Boys and girls figuring out what it looks like to be around each other.  Now, many of these boy-girl interactions are simply friendly and plutonic.  But sometimes you can see a bit of the song and dance.

Cute boy has some sort of interaction with cute girl then she begins to glow in excitement.  Boys do the same thing but their glow is more strategically hidden.  But both have a bit of a glow when this song and dance occurs because there is a thrill in being liked.  It reminds me of the movie "Mean Girls" when Lindsay Lohan's character is just thrilled to have her crush notice her enough to ask what day it is.  A small gesture that lets us know we're noticed or perhaps even liked excites us.



To have a crush is nice to to be crushed on is something completely different.  To be crushed on by an unwanted crush may be flattering yet annoying, but to be the one crushed on by someone you reciprocate that with is thrilling.

It's not just kids that have this feeling.

I remember the feeling when I noticed my future wife noticing me.  Oh, it was intoxicating.  It was heart-pounding to know that I was liked, I mean like-liked by someone that I was attracted to emotionally and physically. 

So, I see that glow from high schoolers at a distance and I remember it in my past.  There is an amazing thrill of being liked. 

Now let's meditate on the fact that the greatest being of all time, the most beautiful of all time likes you and me.  Not just likes, but loves.

Think about that and stoke the glow of excitement.  The God of the universe loves you enough to send His Son to die for you!

"The LORD your God is with you,
He is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:17

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

"This is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." 1 John 4:10

The thrill of being liked is a great feeling and you are not only liked, but you are loved by God Himself.  This should thrill us to the max.  This should send our spirits soaring more than some earthly crush ever could, even if they asked us what day it is. 

Remember who loves you with an endless love and feel that teenage-like excitement about it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment