Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Friday, January 27, 2017

A Fight Won by Gentleness

Today was the March for Life Rally in Washington D.C.  Thousands of people marched, like they have for 40 years, in protest of abortion.  I, like them, pray that abortion becomes a thing of the past.  I pray that my children or grandchildren one day come up and ask me in amazement if people really used to kill unborn children.  I pray they ask me that as strangely as I asked my dad about separate drinking fountains based on skin color and protests against desegregated swimming pools in his town growing up.

I find abortion to be an abominable practice that must be ended.  I'm passionate about seeing an end to it and that can make me volatile.  I can at times be tempted to be unkind in an effort to win an argument and that is wrong.

Vice President Mike Pence spoke at the March for Life today and one part of his speech was very important.  Now, I'm not saying here that Mr. Pence does what he says here perfectly.  I'm not getting into whether his and his boss's immigration policies match his statement below.  What I want is just to look at it and see what we can learn.

"I urge you to press on, but as it is written, 'Let your gentleness be evident to all.' Let this movement be known for love, not anger. Let this movement be known for compassion, not confrontation.
When it comes to matters of the heart, there is nothing stronger than gentleness. I believe we will continue to win the hearts and minds of the rising generation if our hearts first break for young mothers and their unborn children, and if we, each of us, do all we can to meet them where they are with generosity not judgement.
To heal our land and restore a culture of life we must continue to be a movement that embraces all, cares for all, and shows respect for the dignity and worth of every person."
"Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near."  Philippians 4:5
If someone saw your last Facebook interaction about abortion would your gentleness be evident?

I've seen people type "MURDERER" to a woman who's admitted she's had an abortion.  I've seen the name calling... the assumptions... the lack of care about anything other than "winning" an argument... the absence of gentleness and love.  All this makes me sad and, frankly, sets the cause back.

I've also seen when someone interjects a loving, true statement into the fray of words.  I've seen gentleness melt anger.  I've seen the difference this makes.

The fight for life is won more by sonogram pictures than nasty comebacks.  It is won more by donations to organizations that provide for women's prenatal physical and emotional needs than by angry shouts.

Can we be loving and gentle about this topic and not sacrifice the truth and urgency?  Absolutely.  Our gentleness must be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  What Paul means when he says "the Lord is near" is that God is close by us, He is in control.  God doesn't need us to be rash and unloving to win this fight for life.

So, be passionate about life.  Pray that abortion ends and act in ways to accomplish that.  But be so gentle.  If people can't see your resolve for ending abortion AND your gentleness then you're doing it wrong.

Let your gentleness be evident to all today.

My son.

No comments:

Post a Comment