Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

5 Things That Blow My Mind

I love to think, or rather try to think, about things that blow my mind about God.  I find this exercise insanely rewarding and worshipful.  While I'm never left, or perhaps rarely left, with answers from this exercise, I'm always left feeling a sense of awe.

"What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us."  A. W. Tozer.

Tozer wrote this in a book that expanded my view of God, The Knowledge of the Holy.  Ever since I read that and Knowing God by J. I. Packer I've been in love with expanding my view of God.  My pursuit is to take God out of the box I've often place Him into in my mind and expand my view of God to a point closer to His real enormity therefore magnifying Him.  Pastor John Piper says we do not magnify God like a microscope but instead like a telescope.  A microscope take small things like cells and makes them look larger than they really are; a telescope takes large things like stars and makes them look a little bigger and therefore closer to the size they really are, but obviously incredibly smaller than they really are.

Christians, we must have our mind blown when thinking of who God is.  If we can completely understand God in our mind then the God in our mind is an idol and not the great unfathomable God of the universe.

Below are five things that blow my mind about God.

1) His Infinite Age
"... you are from all eternity." Psalm 93:2b

We are eternal beings in one direction.  You and I had a beginning but we will not have an end.  Whether in Heaven or in Hell we will exist forever.  God is eternal in both directions.  He has always existed and will always exist.

My wife put it this way and it blew my mind, "Even in eternity God will always be infinitely older than us."  Just try thinking about that.

2) God's Infinite Size
I've been to the Rocky Mountains and marveled at their size.  God is much larger.  As the old song says, "He's got the whole world in His hands."

"Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand,
or with the breadth of His hand marked off the heavens?" Isaiah 40:12

God holds the universe in the breadth of His hand... wow!

3) His Infinite Knowledge
"Great is our Lord and mighty in power,
His understanding knows no limit." Psalm 147:5

The Bible says God knows everything, even the number of hairs on my head or the number of grains of sand in all the beaches of earth.  Tozer said, "Because God knows all things perfectly, He knows no thing better than any other thing, but all things equally well.  He never discovers anything, He is never surprised, never amazed."

4) God is Outside of Time.
God is neither in the past nor the present.  God is always in the present, but not in the way that we think of being in the present.  God is not confined by time.  C. S. Lewis described it as the "unbounded now".  God is not confined by time, so ancient Egypt and my next thought are both now to Him.  Time does not age God nor does it mature Him because He has always existed and has always been as perfect as He is now.

5) This God Loves Me
"When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?" Psalm 8:2-4

"But God demonstrates His love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

God is mindblowingly, infinitely amazing and impossible to fully understand, yet He loves us and He took the initiative to love us first.  We Christians must never find God normal or His love for us pedestrian.

So, think about these five things and/or others and expand your view of God.  Magnify Him like a telescope and discover how worshipful it is.  You will find yourself trembling in awe and tingling with a deepened sense of love.  Have your mind blown by God's holiness today.

No comments:

Post a Comment