Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Wisdom Quest X- Beautiful Women, Deaf Ears, Anger and Contentment

This is my final post in Proverbs.  I have been reading three chapters a week and picking a favorite proverb.  I'll finish with the final four proverbs this week.  Thank you for reading along with me.

Proverbs 28
"If anyone turns a deaf ear to the law,
even his prayers are detestable."  Proverbs 28:9

We cannot sin unrepentantly and fool ourselves into thinking that we can still please the LORD.  See, turning a deaf ear to the law means that we know we shouldn't do something and still willfully do it.  I'm guilty of doing this at times and it is a serious offense.  The writer says that even our prayers are detestable if we do this.  All our "good works" mean nothing without repentance.  Repentance is key to the Christian life, especially our prayer life.

Proverbs 29
"A fool gives full vent to his anger,
but a wise man keeps himself under control."  Proverbs 29:11

Anger is not necessarily sinful; anger can be a legitimate and even righteous feeling.  We, however, are not to be controlled by our emotions.  How someone deals with his/her anger speaks volumes about their character.  If you are close friends or dating someone who gives full vent to their anger, watch out!

You must control your anger, don't let your anger control you.

Proverbs 30
"Two things I ask of you, O LORD;
do not refuse me before I die:
Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, 'Who is the LORD?'
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God."  Proverbs 30:7-9

What a great prayer request!

This proverb is very self-explanatory, but I'll focus on one thing: Contentment.  Contentment is the key to monetary life.  Jesus taught us to pray for our daily bread; we should do as He taught.  When is the last time you actually prayed for just enough?  We all want to be rich, but how many of us would be content even if we had everything?  As C. S. Lewis said, "The one who has everything and God has no more than he who has God only."  Strive for contentment.

Proverbs 31
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised."  Proverbs 31:30

I have found such a woman and I am beyond thankful!  My wife fears the LORD and has beauty and charm, but when her youthfulness leaves her she will still be a woman to be praised.

Ladies, be this type of beautiful woman who fears and loves God.  Guys, search for this!  Stop being so shallow and you will get far more than you ever dreamed of... you'll get real lasting beauty, like I did.  Guys, if we do a better job of searching for this and praising this type of woman then I believe more women will be this type of woman.  It starts with us, so do it.

Don't be unrepentant.  Listen to God's law.  Control your anger, don't let it control you.  Strive for contentment in your financial life.  And women, be beautiful from the inside out and single guys, search for that type of woman today.

No comments:

Post a Comment