Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Wisdom Quest III- Wise People Listen to Wisdom

Please read Proverbs chapters 7 through 9.  I've chosen my favorite proverbs from each chapter.  Feel free to comment with your favorites.

Chapter 7
"With persuasive words she (the adulteress) led him astray;
she seduced him with her smooth talk.
All at once he followed her
like an ox going to the slaughter,
like a deer stepping into a noose
till an arrow pierces his liver,
like a bird darting into a snare,
little knowing it will cost him his life." Proverbs 7:21-23

Sin is enticing.  It is seductive but it always ultimately leads to death.  Sin may seem to provide a good life but it ultimately leads to death.  It's like the steer that is cared for, fed, and given shelter by the farmer.  The steer may feel like it is living the good life but the farmer always plans to kill the steer for meat.  Sin is like that farmer and we are like that steer.  Sin may provide good things for awhile, but it has a plan for us.

Chapter 8
"To fear the LORD is to hate evil;
I hate pride and arrogance,
evil behavior and perverse speech." Proverbs 8:13

I have to ask myself and you might too, "Do I hate evil?" To fear God is not just to see the benefit of His ways; to fear God is to love what He loves and hate what He hates.  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; so, the wise person loves what God loves and hates what God hates.  (Disclaimer: do not read this as a license to hate some people)

Chapter 9
"Whoever corrects a mocker invites insult;
whoever rebukes a wicked man incurs abuse.
Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you;
rebuke a wise man and he will love you.
Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still;
teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning." Proverbs 9:7-9

The first thing most of us see in this passage is to not waste time giving advice or correction to people who can't and won't take it.  However, I invite you to ask yourself, "Can I take constructive criticism?"

"Can I take constructive criticism?"  "Can I take criticism at all or am I always defensive?"

I have wasted a lot of good advice and correction because I was trying to save face.  For example, when I started at my job I was so busy trying to prove I wasn't the kid that I ignored advice that later helped me become a better broadcaster.  This is a something I need to get better at.  Maybe you do, too.  A wise person can take criticism and become wiser.

So, don't be fooled by sin.  It may seem enticing and good, but it leads to death.  Learn to love what God loves and hate what He hates.  Strive to have the mind of God.  Finally, listen to others and grow from their instruction today.

No comments:

Post a Comment