Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Wisdom Quest 1

A few years ago my Bible study and I went through the book of Proverbs. We like it so much that we decided to do it again.  So, for the next several weeks I'll be writing about what I find in each chapter that excites me.  I'm reading three chapters a week.  Feel free to join us in doing this.

Below I'm going to share my favorite verses for this week.  There isn't a need to elaborate much on these because the Proverbs are meant to be quick and to the point.

Chapter 1
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and discipline" Proverbs 1:7

This is where we must start in the quest for wisdom.  We can't understand anything until we understand where we stand in relation to the Almighty.

Chapter 2
"My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,
turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding,
and if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,
and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,
then you will understand the fear of the LORD
and find the knowledge of God.
For the LORD gives wisdom,
and from His mouth comes knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:1-6

God wants us to seek wisdom and He is the source of wisdom.  Getting wisdom is both hard work and a free gift.

Chapter 3
"Honor the LORD with your wealth,
with the firstfruits of all your crops;
then your barns will be filled to overflowing,
and your vats will brim over with new wind." Proverbs 3:9-10

This is NOT prosperity gospel.  But God ask us to honor Him with our money and He will bless us when we do this.  So many, but not all, of our money problems might stem from not doing this well.  I once had a friend tell me that he tried not tithing and found he couldn't afford to not to tithe.

Search out wisdom with me.  Read Proverbs with me and feel free to comment with what you learned today.

No comments:

Post a Comment