Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Friday, May 9, 2014

A Mother's Prayer

I don't know if anyone in my life has prayed for me more than my mother.  I'm guessing those of you from a Christian family can say the same thing.

Mothers pray with an intensity and persistence that likely can't be matched by the most devoted monks. Remember the mother of Samuel the prophet?  His mother prayed so intensely that Eli thought she was drunk.  Mothers pray for children when their children are nothing more than a dream and they continue to pray until, well, they actually ever stop.

There are times when my mother annoys me.  At times it feels that she nags me to do things, "Did you call about that?" "Did you get that turned in?" "You'll be sorry if you don't do that."

Moms can ride a subject longer than the world's best rodeo cowboy could stay on a paralyzed horse.  And yes, sometimes I get sick of that, but then I get to thinking...

I get to thinking about how persistent my mom can be and remember how good that is.  Not that I want more reminders from her, but her persistence is a good thing.  Moms are persistent in prayer for their children and unlike me, God can't get away from her.

"Then Jesus told His disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.  He said, 'In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men.  And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.'

For some time he refused.  But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!'

And the Lord said, 'Listen to what the unjust judge says.  And will not God bring about justice for His chosen ones, who cry out to Him day and night?  Will He keep putting them off?  I tell you, He will see that they get justice, and quickly."
Luke 18-1-8a

My mom has been persistent in prayer for me in many things and I thank her for that.  My siblings and I have been blessed in so many ways and I'm sure the prayers of my mom have made a difference.

The first prayer I can remember with my mom was when we pulled over on the side of the road as the sun rose and she prayed with me as I asked Jesus to be my Lord and Savior.  If my mom only had one prayer with me she would have changed my life for eternity, but she didn't stop praying that morning.

Thank you Mom for your prayers though the years.  I love you.

Thank your mother for her many, persistent prayers today.

No comments:

Post a Comment