Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Imitation

Please take time to read 1 Corinthians chapter 4.  When you do, here's a little tip that will keep you from missing the meaning.  Read verses 7 through 13 as though Paul is writing it facetiously.  It's actually quite funny when you do, not to mention it's the correct way to read it.

One verse that stood out to me from this chapter was verse 16.

"Therefore I urge you to imitate me." 1 Corinthians 4:16

Paul asked the church at Corinth to imitate him.

This made me think, "Could I implore others to imitate me?"  "Could I say, 'I urge you to imitate me?"

This is a good question.  We should ask ourselves if the life we are leading is worth imitation.  We should ask if people would be living a Godly life if they imitated us.

But I'll let you in on a secret about that great question.

It doesn't matter.

"Could I ask someone to imitate me?" is a pointless question because it doesn't matter if you think someone could imitate you because someone is imitating you.  I can guess that there is someone in your sphere of influence that imitates you at least in part.  And if you are in any position of leadership I can guarantee there is someone in your sphere of influence that is imitating you in at least some fashion.

So, the better thing to ask is this:  "Someone is imitating me.  What should I do to be a better model for them?"

But you may say, "No one is imitating me.  I've never heard once that someone wanted to be like me in any way."

I've felt that way before, but that thought is a lie.  Whether you like it or not, or know it or not, your life is on display and someone is watching you.  Be worthy of imitation.

Another thing I want you to think about is this.  "Who should I imitate?"

Don't get fooled into thinking that you've got it all figured out.  Imitate some of the great men and women of God around you.  Find a Godly father that models what you want to be some day.  Find a Godly woman that is the prayer warrior you want to be.  Find someone worth imitating and watch them closely as they model what it looks like to follow God in the real world.

Finally, if you have someone that you imitate, please tell them.  I'm sick of going to funerals where this line is spoken: "You know I never told them but..."  Tell people in your life what an influence they have been on you.  Encourage them to continue to be a person in the church worthy of imitating.

Be worthy of imitation today.

No comments:

Post a Comment