Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

Today is Valentine's Day a holiday known for love, chocolate and flowers along with a few other things.  Today I bought some flowers.  However, they were not for a Valentine they were for a funeral.  My friends recently had a loved one die.  So buying these type of flowers on Valentine's day, with the mad rush of others purchasing flowers, made me think about true love.

Jesus exhibited true love on Calvary.  He showed us what real love is and I am reminded of that while buying flowers for a funeral.  See we Christians are reminded of love at death because for us to die is gain. The death of a Christian means they will experience complete fullness of love with the Lord purchased 2,000 years ago on Calvary.

Jesus also shows us His love in the fact that He has chosen us, the Church, as His bride.  For guys this can be a tough truth to understand but for women it has got to be a lot easier.

So on Valentine's Day I'm reminded of God's love for us.  Here are just a few verses about love:

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son.  That whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."- John 3:16

"And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.  God is love.  Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him."  -1 John 4:16

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself." -Matthew 22:37-39

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." -John 15:13

"But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  -Romans 5:8

Happy Valentine's Day.  Show God's love and experience God's unmeasurable love today!

3 comments:

  1. Some good thoughts. Valentine's Day always reminds me of my uncle who passed away on this day about 8 years ago. Hadn't thought about the connection between True Love and death. Thanks!
    CJW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Matt! I have to agree that its important to always remember the love God has for us and all He did to show it. That is why for Valentine's Day this year, I bought Duston a Bible, because I figured I'd go along with the whole "love" theme. I was like "I love you, now here's a book that will show you the greatest love you'll ever know!"

    Hope all is going well with you : )
    ~Jessie Schmidt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Jessie! That is a great Valentine's Day gift.

    Hope everything is going well for you too.

    ReplyDelete