Welcome

Paul says we Christians are running a race. Here's what I'm looking at on my run toward Christ.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Matthew 11

Well, we are finally back into the book of Matthew after Advent and the New Year.  We jump right into Matthew 11.  Please take the time to read this chapter.

In this chapter Jesus is preaching and any time Jesus preaches we should take note of what He says.  I believe that one of the main points Jesus has in this chapter is this: It's all about Him.

First, the chapter begins with John the Baptist sending a messenger to Christ to ask if Jesus was The One.  Jesus answers not with a 'yes' but with a report on what He had done.  When people ask us if Jesus is The One we should follow His lead and tell them what Jesus has done.  That means what He has done in history and in our lives specifically.  So be ready with your testimony.

Secondly, don't think that you are a Christian because you figured out some hidden truth.

Verse 25, "I praise you Father... because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children."

Verse 27, "All things have been committed me by my Father.  No one know the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him."

Meaning, you didn't decide on Jesus; He decided on you.  So don't boast about your salvation because it's all about Jesus.

Lastly, we must remember that it's all about Jesus in every aspect of our lives, not just our salvation.  One of the ways we pridefully try to do it on our own is in our worrying and plan making.  This is not the plan He has for us.

Verse 28-30, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Jesus never intends Christians to plan their own lives.  He has a yoke for us to bear (work for us to do and a cross for us to carry), yet we like to pick our own heavy, useless yokes.  How can we imagine that we could have a better plan and purpose for ourselves than the Almighty does?

Jesus never intends Christians to do it on their own.  He asks us to come to Him and find rest.  To do this we must submit to His control.  We must give up control to find rest.  Lay your burdens at the feet of Jesus and He promises to take care of you.

Remember the hymn "Take it to the Lord in Prayer.  I love the line, "Oh, what peace we often forfeit.  Oh, what needless pain we bear.  All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer."  How true is that?!

Or a more modern song, Carrie Underwood's "Jesus Take the Wheel".  "Jesus take the wheel.  Take it from my hands.  Cause, I can't do this on my own.  I'm letting go."

Have you let the wheel go?  Have you recognized that it's all about Jesus, not all about you?  There is so much peace to be had when we let Him take the wheel, when we take it to Him in prayer, when we submit to the man who carved the mountains.

So let go and let God today.

No comments:

Post a Comment